FREE SECURITY OTHER THAN AVG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have free, AVG 8.5 anti-virus security and have been quite happy with it. Lately Ive had warnings to say that I must upgrade to the free AVG 9.0 edition before 1st of December. Ive tried installing it 5-6 times now and theres errors and problems each time. Since the 1st time I tried installing it a few weeks ago my PC now takes ages to log on to the internet and when Im eventally on, the screen continuously freezes AAGH :mad:
What I want to ask is, does anyone know of a different free security package I can install instead of AVG, so I can un-install AVG in the hope my PC wont freeze up anymore.
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I appear to have Spyware Doctore as well, not that I can remember insalling this but if I un-install AVG then install a different security package, should I uninstall Spyware Doctor as well?
Does this make sense? :oops:

Are the two programs conflicting? That might be your problem.
I would try uninstalling spyware doctor before upgrading AVG as AVG has some anti spyware functionality.

I've used Avast in the past and found that as good as anything else.

Sponsored Links
Try http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/ which has realtime protection for spyware and viruses has good scan reviews and intergrates very well with windows. Turn on windows firewall and you are covered.

Remember if your uninstalling antivirus programs to use their removal tools to make sure its all gone.

Ive uninstalled Spyware Doctor then re-installed AVG 9 and lo and behold its worked!!!
My PC is back to normal, phew what a relief. Thanks very much everyone for all your help. :D

Ill third avast.

I have also had problems with the new AVG update, but there is definatly no other software installed causing a problem.
I ended up just taking it off and putting avast on instead (just been too lazy to do it before.

I too prefer avast.

The only thing that I dislike about it is the splash screen that pops up , after the initial registration period expires, which misleads people into thinking that they have to upgrade to the paid for version when in reality they can continue to use it for free.

comodo are doing an all in one package for free.
Avast! free
Zone Alert free edition
CCleaner
to name but a few...
:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back