Free standing garden wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am looking for some help regarding a freestang garden wall which I would like to build myself.

2 metre high and 6 metre long. Any advice please what would be the cheapest way.

Anyone can explain types of concrete block to me please hollow, medium density etc. really confused.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Anyone can explain types of concrete block to me please hollow, medium density etc. really confused.
Thanks.
The idea of the hollow blocks is that rebar can be set in the footings and the blocks built over it. The blocks can then be filled with concrete.
Dense concrete blocks can be used to built a wall without rebar.

Dense blocks are made in Ireland, most ground workers I know are Irish. :LOL: :LOL:

Dense blocks are usually 10newtons or more and can be laid below the DPC, ordinary blocks are usually 4newtons and are used mainly above DPC.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I am looking for some help regarding a freestang garden wall which I would like to build myself.

2 metre high and 6 metre long. Any advice please what would be the cheapest way.

Thanks.
Build it from brick. It will look much better. And your brickwork will probably end up looking a bit rustic so you might as well get some old reclaimed bricks and then you'll be able to say the hardest bit was getting it to look old and rustic and not too neat.

Thanks everybody.

No planning required if upto 2 metre high.

Can these dence block be left as it is without rendering. What is their lifespan if allowed to get wet and frost.

If i go brick , how thick should foundation be( not deep) providing i difg 1 metre. Can i use few courses of engineering bricks and then facing brick upwards finishing with staff blue as coping.

Hi,
Thanks.
The idea of the hollow blocks is that rebar can be set in the footings and the blocks built over it. The blocks can then be filled with concrete.
Dense concrete blocks can be used to built a wall without rebar.

So are hollow blocks lighter.

You need a decent foundation for a 2m high wall. That's quite an investment and you don't want it sinking and moving around for the sake of a bit more digging. What sort of soil are you on?

PS. Medium density concrete blocks will do the job functionally as long as you don't mind looking like the Clampits. Render is ok in the medium term but unless the top has a really good coping it will eventually blow off.

No-one seems to have enquired as to the thickness of this proposed wall, and whether or not it will actually stand up under wind load.

There are practical limits to the heights of free-standing walls, depending on effective thickness, inclusion of stiffening piers, type of mortar etc.

Thanks everybody.
Can these dence block be left as it is without rendering. What is their lifespan if allowed to get wet and frost.
Dense or medium density can be left outside without rendering, although they don't look as good. Depends what you are looking for.
Some people just paint them.

Staff blue bricks, if memory serves me, they're the ones that don't absorb water, and if the sun isn't baking down on them takes at least five years for the muck to dry out, brickies love them... :eek: :eek:

No-one seems to have enquired as to the thickness of this proposed wall, and whether or not it will actually stand up under wind load.
Course not Tony, that's your job. We are just simple bricklayers who struggle with the sun crossword.

Sorry forgot to add. The wall will be 9inches thick as I understand single skin will not last few years. As the wall will be end of garden( i own end terrace house so 3 side fence. Left and right are fenced, its just the rear I am thinking of building bricks.

If I use few courses of engineering brick then few of facing bricks and finish with staff blue will that give me around 10-15 years. I am on a clay soil in essex.

Should last longer than that, although you need more than a few courses.
You might be on shrinkable clay in Essex, so make sure there are no big Oak trees etc close by.

Great advice. Brick wall it is then. Any tips as how to connect this freestanding wall to concrete posts on either end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back