Freeview Signal Strength

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - My TV picture intermittently breaks-up for maybe 30 seconds every half an hour or so. I want to fix it and so have starting trying to diagnose the root-cause.

I've read that a Freeview digital signal should be no higher than 75dBuV? My TV shows a Signal Strength of 91dBuV - could this be the problem?

I'm using BT Vision. I have a masthead amplifier which is powered by a booster next to the TV. If I unplug the booster, then I get no signal at all. I didn't install the amplifier or the booster - they were here when I moved in.

Would appreciate any tips.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
There are many possibilities, including a bad connection in the aerial or masthead amp or a damaged fly-lead. I even had a broken wire inside my wall socket that caused this symptom!

If the signal is really too high then an 18dB attenuator (fixed or variable) should fix it:
http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page15a.htm#uhfatten

See other suggestions:-
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/freeview_problems.htm

I have a masthead amplifier which is powered by a booster next to the TV. If I unplug the booster, then I get no signal at all.
No, you have a masthead amplifier which is powered by a Power Supply Unit.

Thanks a lot for the help.

On your point about the booster vs. PSU, it's a Labgear 4-way distribution amplifier - just checking that this isn't a problem?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Sorry - There's a Wolsey masthead amplifier in the loft. This is powered by a Labgear amplifier downstairs (I can only assume that the original PSU was lost/damaged by the previous owners). Is using the Labgear amp to power the Wolsey masthead amp a problem?

Hi - My TV picture intermittently breaks-up for maybe 30 seconds every half an hour or so. I want to fix it and so have starting trying to diagnose the root-cause.

I've read that a Freeview digital signal should be no higher than 75dBuV? My TV shows a Signal Strength of 91dBuV - could this be the problem?

I'm using BT Vision. I have a masthead amplifier which is powered by a booster next to the TV. If I unplug the booster, then I get no signal at all. I didn't install the amplifier or the booster - they were here when I moved in.

Would appreciate any tips.

Many thanks.
Analogue needed about 75dBµV at the aerial socket. Digital needs less.

Signal power level depends where it is being measure from. The simplest method when you're troubleshooting as you are is to go from the back of the set. You're looking for a minimum of 45dBµV and a comfortable target level of 55-60dBµV. Most sets will accept something a little higher but going OTT will cause problems. 70dBµV is about the most you want to have at the aerial socket on the TV. Signal quality is more important than signal level.

If you have decent quality coax cable (WF100) then your signal loss over distance will be around 0.15dBµV/m. Average installs use between 20 and 30metres of cable from aerial to the main lounge TV. So if we add that back on to the signal level your TV is reporting then the mast amp is generating somewhere between 94 and 95.5dBµV. The gains from the loft amp/spitter will be offset by some losses due to the connections.

We are presuming that the TV measures signal level reasonably accurately. But even if it overstates by 10%, you've still got about 82~83dBµV at the set when you really only need 60dBµV.

If the system has been installed a while then it could predate the Digital Switchover. After DSO when analogue was no longer transmitted then the power of the digital transmissions was bumped up. Your system might have been installed and set up for digital when it was on low power. Now the power level has gone up then the level at the TV is a bit OTT.

Do you have access to the loft? If so it's also worth checking the wiring on the Labgear distribution amp. There are models in the range that include a "Full" output. This is designed for connecting to a second distribution amplifier. If it's connected to a TV then the signal level going down the wire is the full beans; 99dBµV. If yours is wired using the Full output then switch the cable over to one of the numbered outputs instead.

Once you've checked all this then get yourself some attenuators. There's a range of fixed and variable ones here on the Satcure page

Lucid, are you missing the point that he's amplifying the already amplified signal? He should first replace the second amp with a PSU.

Thanks for the posts. I've been up to the masthead amp in the loft and turned the dial to the minimum which has reduced the strength to 79dBuV - obviously still too strong so I'll order a new PSU and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Lucid, are you missing the point that he's amplifying the already amplified signal? He should first replace the second amp with a PSU.

Actually no, I hadn't missed it. I presumed that the Labgear 4-way was being used to feed the lounge TV and up to 3 others with a terrestrial TV signal.

However, if you're saying that the Labgear is only being used as a power supply then yes, you're right, it should be replaced with a PSU dedicated for the Wolsey masthead amp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back