Freezer in shed questions...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Needing more freezer space, I was thinking about putting one in a shed at the bottom of the garden. However, I've read some reports that if the temp gets too low, newer freezers don't operate that well. Is this the case?

In addition, the power supply is RCD protected, so is there a device that could be used to alert us in the house if the power is tripped? The shed is approx 35m from the house, so maybe something wireless?

Sponsored Links
its fridge freezers where the problem lies as far as i know when the room teperature is at 5 or below the fridge is cold enough so dosnt require cooling so the freezer part can thaw out

freezer should be fine because its only one temperature requirement at minus 18

does that mean it's the temperature differential/measurement that is the important point?

I've looked into various specs regarding stand alone freezers, and they don't seem to guarantee operation below that 5C you mention for combined units..

so are the manufacturers hedging their bets/covering their a*ses?

there may possibly be a mechanical issue with oil electrics or fluids but cant see that being a problem
there are hundreds off freezers in garages and sheds at arounds 2 or 3 degrees where the freezer help keep the temperature above freezing
personaly i dont think it will be a big problem but would weight for one off the passing experts to pass comment :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Beko freezers will work down to -10c and their frost free fridge freezers will operate down to -15.

This might be complete rubbish, but I was advised by Comet some years ago that chest freezers have better rust protection for sighting in unheated locations.

Chest freezers in cold environments tend to form condensation on the outer skin due to the temperature differential and the insulation not being designed to cope with it. This forms droplets that run to the base where it drips off and pools or is soaked up by the insulation itself as the base of these machines are most often pretty open. Once water ingresses into the insulation the machine is effectively written off as repairs to insulation are, at best, difficult and cannot be guaranteed to work with 100% certainty.

Should you have a leaking freezer in a cold room, or indeed one that is too warm, then this is almost certainly the cause and again, there is no cure for the problem other than to move the machine to a heated room, or heat the room accordingly.

I remember seeing in a Bosch freezer catalogue that on Chest freezers, they use the waste heat from the coils to warm the casing, to prevent condensation and rust.

Thanks for the replies, but I'm a bit confused now as to whether a chest freezer or an upright is more suitable...

And also whether a 'frost free' model is even better.

the frost free models do go wrong more often, as they have fans that can wear out, and internal ducts that sometimes clog with ice and take a long time to clear.

I believe a chest freezer is more efficient as the cold air does not run out every time you open the door

however, in a chest freezer you can forget what is down at the bottom. I use an upright at home in the kitchen.

Some of the chest freezers are far bigger than uprights, and can keep food frozent for two days or so in the event of a power cut

If you tell me how much you want to spend, what size, upright or chest, I will look up the Which best buys for you (or you can go to your local library and read their reviews at your leisure)

however, in a chest freezer you can forget what is down at the bottom.
indeed..

Although that can be useful when trying to avoid the other half's salted horse meat!! (smoked version is fine)

Seems like I should avoid a frost free model though..

Looking at Hotpoint freezers:
upright: FZS175 197 litre 288kWh/annum 11 hour power fail storage => 1.46 kWh/litre/year
chest: RCNAA53 287 litre 252kWh/annum 54 hour power fail storage => 0.88 kWh/litre/year

Chest freezers have locks.

Upright uses 66% more energy per litre and only lasts 20% as long without power. Cannot find operating limits though. Personally, I wouldn't put an upright in a shed.

Thanks for all the info.

I was looking at various online sites though, and most say in their Q&A sections that they don't sell any freezers suitable for garages /sheds...just covering their a*ses?

I have had 1 in my shed for 5 years and never had an issue yet.
i have 1 in the garden at the moment too, works fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back