Freezing Due to Cold Water :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Well my family has brought a new house recently and we have a problem.
When ever the heating is off, and we want hot water, the boiler does not fire and cannot diliver hot water to us. So whenever we need hot water we wouold need to switch the heating on, so that it fires and there is hot water.

The boiler currently installed is called ideal C80FF

the manual can be found here:
http://www.idealheating.com/downloads/manuals/152317.pdf

And the user guide:
http://www.idealheating.com/downloads/manuals/155553-1.pdf

in addition to the boiler there is a timer called switchmasteer SM300 which in rite next to the boiler. It has a dial with 4 pegs which can go in and out. Next to that is a switch with 3 items
Timer
Off
Constant.

i could not find the manual, sorry

And to switch the heating on we just put the switch to constant.
there is also a room temperature control which is set to 27ish degree's

the pressure on the boiler is 2.0
and as it said on the user guide, if there is heating but no hot water, check that the hot water tap is giving 1paint/10second and my hot water tap is giving about 1.5ish paint per 10seconds.

so please can you help,

Sponsored Links
Have you thoroughly read the entire user manual?

As long as your boiler is on, regardless of the heating position, you should have hot water.

Has it ever worked properly?

Judging by the timer model, the installation was a bit of a cowboy job, which would be consistent with the reputation of the average Ideal installer.

I wouldn't be surprised if the timer/roomstat actually interrupts the power to the boiler completely.

Have you thoroughly read the entire user manual?

As long as your boiler is on, regardless of the heating position, you should have hot water.

Has it ever worked properly?

Judging by the timer model, the installation was a bit of a cowboy job, which would be consistent with the reputation of the average Ideal installer.

I wouldn't be surprised if the timer/roomstat actually interrupts the power to the boiler completely.

thanks for the quick reply, well the boiler was working but then it suddenly decides not to work. but yesterday i was looking around it and then put all the switches of the timer thing off and then put the heating on and it worked
so i think its a dogdy timer.

...yesterday i was looking around it and then put all the switches of the timer thing off and then put the heating on and it worked
so i think its a dogdy timer.

Dodgy install more like it; the setting of the timer should have no effect whatsoever on the dhw.

Sponsored Links
If you set the wall thermostat to its lowest setting (27C is very hot) doesn't the heating pump stop, even if the programmer is set to "on"?

The timeswitch you describe, I think, is only meant to time the heating, not the HW.

Very likely the wiring is connected wrong.

If you set the wall thermostat to its lowest setting (27C is very hot) doesn't the heating pump stop, even if the programmer is set to "on"?

The timeswitch you describe, I think, is only meant to time the heating, not the HW.

Very likely the wiring is connected wrong.

the 2 thermostats in the boiler are near full and the one downstairs (room thermo) is about 27ish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back