French tripping problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all. In my French property I have a shed with a fuse box that has been wired in. A green/yellow wire goes to the earth bar, a blue wire goes to the N input and a red wire goes to the other input. I have added 16a and 10a trip switches and connected them using two bars which slot in. I have wired in a new socket going to the 16a trip, with N going to N, L going to 2 and earth going to the earth bar. But it trips as soon as I plug anything in and turn it on. The 16atrips, along with the input 40a trip, along with the main trip in the box in the hall. Any thought please? Dave

Sponsored Links
You have a fault or have done something wrong. Call an electrician.
Other than that it's difficult or impossible to diagnose the problem from a distance.
It could be anything from a 2 phase feed to the shed, to an earth fault.

Given that all three trip my best guess would be that you have swapped neutral and earth at the socket.

I'm thinking that the single phase wires will be Brown and Blue, White and Black, or Red and Black.
Red and Blue wires suggests to me two of three phases. In which case the OP is meddling in a very dangerous situation which he does not understand.

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking that the single phase wires will be Brown and Blue, White and Black, or Red and Black.
Red and Blue wires suggests to me two of three phases. In which case the OP is meddling in a very dangerous situation which he does not understand.

No. The the usual arrangement in France is red for line, blue neutral, and green/yellow for earth.

Check your neutral goes to correct neutral bus bar.

There is no neutral buss bar. This is France and all MCBs are double pole.

Back