french wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?:
I need some information regarding a rewire of my house in france I have been told that I must only rewire using french methods, I have also been told that this is called radiall what is this or can I just rewire using english method ??? thank you any body :?:

Sponsored Links
I think I know what you're getting at.

The ring final circuit (aka "ring main") is (AFAIK) unique to the UK, the alternative for socket circuits being a "radial" (one 'L').

A radial is what it sounds like - a single cable radiating from a central point, the central point in this case being the consumer control unit (aka "fuse box").

If a French person in a position of authority says that you must use radial circuits, then you must use radial circuits.

that's ok you're welcome i hope it works for you with your wiring have a nice day au revoir Softus

Sponsored Links
didnt some one say they wired the whole house a s a ring main, and the local french bloke was a bit bemused but passed it?

Just because a person of authority tells you something doesn't mean its true. Witness the way that lots of people in authority think that part P requires compliance with BS7671.

with euro harmonisation go for the lowest standards in europe and it is still ok? i've noticed the french use double pole mcbs for single phase stuff. best wire it as the locals to stop any problems.

If you still insist on doing it your self then get a good book to help guide you. There are lots of differences from England such as you can't use twin and earth, NO ring only radial, dis boards use live and neutral switching rcds, double insulated wires, flex conduit, limited amount of sockets per circuits, different size sockets for heaters, washing m/c, dishwashers e.t.c and so on. I'm an English electrician and will be attempting a French rewire next month. A bit of advice. Go to Amazon.fr and buy a book called L'installation électrique by Thierry Gallauziaux and David Fedullo. It has most of the information you will need. This book keeps popping up all over French forums. The only snag, as per all French wiring books, Yes its in French. I have transferred this book onto my computer by scanning and character recognition into word documents and hope to have translated it to rough English before I go but it takes allot of time. So only attempt a rewire if you are clued up and confident. Good luck.

You may find that the rules on what you can and can not do without being qualified can be a bit stricter than in England. Over here you can install a boiler including all the gaspipes in your own house and nobody will take you to court over it, providing you do not blow yourself up. Or the neighbours.
Not to mention the fact that it is a really bad idea to fiddle with things like gas, electricity or the brakes on your car unless you really know what you are doing.

Not to mention the fact that it is a really bad idea to fiddle with things like gas, electricity or the brakes on your car unless you really know what you are doing.

sorry, but does that include replying to old posts? :LOL:

I have downloaded the document (finally after all of the adverts!! phew!!) and it is great info.

I know it must not have been easy to complete but I for one send a great big thanks :D

And I will say some of the translations make me smile too, like the 'junction box' becomes 'box of roots', very appropriate :D

I have finally become a fully registered & insured artisan electrician here in France (based near Vire in Calvados, lower Normandy). I totally concur with the advice about the book "Installation Electrique" - short of reading the NF 15-100 it's as good as it gets. It's also another way to improve your French!
Users of this forum might be interested to know that, although still in it's infancy, I have a blog set up so that I can publish short articles about French wiring practice, or to report on any horrors that come to light in the course of my work. Hopefully you will be able to find stuff quite easily as the blog will be spit into categories.
So, if anyone's interested, please view my profile to find out more.

Thanks, Jonathan Badger.

JohnD: You're right, but BADGER is the name on my birth certificate..... :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back