FROGS! (big pictures beware)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just been into the garden. ELEVEN frogs have invaded the garden pond! Posing very nicely for these nature shots:

"look at maa sexyy body"
frog18wx.jpg

ooh err missus
frog28rc.jpg

fat bloater
frog34ee.jpg

the frogs come every year, never seen this many before though! We already fished out a load of frogspawn, i guess we should be expecting a lot more!!!!
btw, the water isn't that green, what you can see is the algae on the pond liner!

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
just been into the garden. ELEVEN frogs have invaded the garden pond! Posing very nicely for these nature shots:

the frogs come every year, never seen this many before though! We already fished out a load of frogspawn, i guess we should be expecting a lot more!!!!
btw, the water isn't that green, what you can see is the algae on the pond liner!

Only 11??? We have too many to count, I bet there are over 60. They arrive once a year and are mostly gone in a couple of weeks. The reason you have so few is that you remove the spawn. Why do you do this?

Awww aren't they lovely :D :D :D

My hubby is going to put in a 'wild pond' for me this year so that our froggies and toadies have got somewhere to go - at the minute they have got a half barrel with a liner :D Hubbies pond is 3ft high off the ground & about 4ft deep so they don't tend to go in there.

I love wildlife in the garden, there was a squirrel out there burying walnuts in one of my plant pots yesterday LOL

Sponsored Links
I would love a pond but there is absolutely no way We will have one until the boys are much older.
No, Im not being over protective.... its a touchy subject for me.

I love frogs.
I take the boys on pond dipping days with rangers at local reserves and its great fun.
We have a river behind us but its too fast flowing to see much there.

Can you encourage the frogs to stay? do they live long? what do they do in the winter time?

Toffee, that's why we've got a high pond. Our kids are teenagers now but we have got two small dogs to think about and also loads of little kids who visit.

My 'nature pond' will be behind a little fence at the front of our conifer trees so that the dogs can't disturb the froggies and the kids don't fall in!

Yes, frogs and toads do tend to stay around your garden. Last year we found one huge toad with a weird mark on his back. Neighbour asked if he could have him in his garden and hubby gave him away :eek:

I was pretty cross as the toad was happy in his garden. Anyway, about a week later I was locking the patio doors late at night and who should I see hopping across the garden..... yep he'd come back hahahaha

crafty1289
great pics ...
;)

hermes
your right lady ..
they take over the garden ...;)

securespark
cricket bat into next doors...lol... :)

toffee
oh my frogs .......
they are scum /destroy save your garden
frogs /toads
horrible vermin on a pond they kill ALL like IAN HUNTLEY after all in a pond :) !!!

The frogs migrate away from the pond and find dark, damp places to live. They do not take over the garden as they travel quite widely, I bet we only see 1 or 2 dozen frogs throughout the year (out of maybe 100 frogs in total that visit the pond at this time of year) when gardening or out at night. They eat slugs, which all gardeners will tell you is a good thing as slugs eat your plants.
We got the pond with the house and it had turned itself into a 'nature pond'. :D I made a wooden frame covered with thick plastic garden netting/trellis type stuff for when the kids were small and that worked a treat as I once watched my 6 y.o. nephew walk backwards towards the pond, trip over the frame and land on his back on the netting.
Frogs came and went every year and after about 3 years in the house we decided to clear out the pond and refill it as it was very overgrown and manky. I was standing in the pond filling buckets and passing them out and as the water got lower I realised that there were fish in there! Three fish about 6" long and as they were dark in colour we had never seen them!
I don't know what they used to live on apart from algae and pond-skaters but I bet they thought frogspawn season was like chrismas/birthdays all come at once.
After they eventually died or suffered heron-attack we bought a couple more tiddly goldfish 2 years ago and they are now about 6 - 8" long and although the man in the garden centre said we should feed them on this and that, we have never fed them.

toffee said:
I would love a pond but there is absolutely no way We will have one until the boys are much older.
No, Im not being over protective.... its a touchy subject for me.

I love frogs.
I take the boys on pond dipping days with rangers at local reserves and its great fun.
We have a river behind us but its too fast flowing to see much there.

Can you encourage the frogs to stay? do they live long? what do they do in the winter time?
Toffee if its a shallow stoney (clean) river you should find all sorts of creapy crawlies that you don't find in still or slow moving waters! maybe worth a look?

We take the frogspawn down to the park and put it in the pond there. theres always loads of tadpoles in there - perhaps other people do the same! We only have a smallish pond (8 foot by 6 foot) and 11 frogs is quite enough!!!! The wall around the pond would also make it difficult for them to get out. Also, we lost a few fish over winter, and a couple of the fish in there now are looking a bit diseased. Wouldn't want the baby frogs becoming diseased or anything. I'm planning to drain the pond and thoroughly clean it all soon anyway. When the frogs have gone!

Another reason is the dog would chase them around the garden - and the pond is mostly deep water, so if all that spawn eventually turned into frogs, we'd have hundreds of frogs jumping about on the back lawn!!!

This is my pond, you can see how the seaweed got onto my sat dish :LOL: no frogs out there but loads of oystercatches it makes so much differance when the sun shines, lifts your spirits.
picture7305ch.jpg

the building on the otherside of the bay with the blue doors is my studio, used to be a boathouse.took this photo today late afternoon.
just thought I'd share this with my cyber pals :D mods included.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back