From gabled to flat.... ? garage roof replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay - first post and hopefully i can explain myself properly.
we have a stand alone garage - Gable roof (concrete asbestos) - approx 3m to apex of gable, Double brick thickness walls 3.5M x 6M x 2M to bottom of roofline. base is at least a foot thick concrete

one long side sits on the boundary line of the garden the Tee's onto ours.
The garage is now not accessible from the road as we had an extension to the side on our drive. It's a great space and well built so would cost as much to rip down as get some use out of.
The roof is past it's best so we want to replace it and at the same time replace all windows, access door and brick up the old front door on it, get it dry lined and insulated. Then we will use it as a games / kids homework ro0om - place to put the kids when their pals are round. (it's all electric'd up
as for the roof, we originally wanted to go for a pitched roof in slate to match the house, but to get the 12 degrees of slope we'd need to up the wall height by about 5 bricks on one side and 10-12 on the boundary line side. This would still be just below the height of the original apex but the council says that because it's nearer than 1m from a boundary and over 2.5m we need planning permission.
It's less than 30m Sq so the B.Regs man did'nt want to know. in fact he made it very clear that he didnt want to know.
We have a current quote of £11k for the whole job, but that's with me taking the old roof off.
Well now that i need planning app for that version, i'm thinking, can i go for a flat roof and get it below 2.5m so i can just get on with it, instead of the rigmorole, time and £150 of planning app.
So the pop quiz question is...

Is 2.5m enough to get a decent head height internally, and would it be much cheaper?
or should i bite the bullet and do the proper job?
Also, bitumen or rubber for a flat roof ? anyone recommend a good flat roofer in the derbyshire area?

Thanks

Cheapaschips
more than happy to answer more questions if i can get to a good answer.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back