Front door lock (mortise i think) bolt stuck in lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

the bolt from my front door lock has stuck in frame (closed position?). The lock still works and the handle turns just the bolt wont retract from the door frame.

Had a locksmith out said it was the spring that was broken would need a new lock £180 or he could spread the door to get access to push the bolt back into the lock as a temp measure for £55.

What did he mean by spread the door? jacking it across to create space to remove the bolt?.

I am only looking to get the door open as i could fit a new lock myself, i have read in previous post about removeing hinge pins. I have uploaded some pics of my door to see if anybody could tell me if that is an option here.

I have access to the inside (where the hinges are) and outside of the door.
Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
is it a plastic door?

what make is the lock?

what price did the locksmith quote for opening the door and letting you change the lock yourself? How much did he charge you for his time in coming round and assessing it?

Hi guys,

the bolt from my front door lock has stuck in frame (closed position?). The lock still works and the handle turns just the bolt wont retract from the door frame.

Had a locksmith out said it was the spring that was broken would need a new lock £180 or he could spread the door to get access to push the bolt back into the lock as a temp measure for £55.

What did he mean by spread the door? jacking it across to create space to remove the bolt?.

I am only looking to get the door open as i could fit a new lock myself, i have read in previous post about removeing hinge pins. I have uploaded some pics of my door to see if anybody could tell me if that is an option here.

I have access to the inside (where the hinges are) and outside of the door.
Many thanks in advance.

You have what is known as a composite door, plastic, sometimes metal around a timber frame filled with foam. Sometimes these doors use a mortice lock other times they use a locking mechanism like you see on a pvc door. Looking at your handle i see a euro cylinder for the lock, this either means you have a.......

http://www.locksonline.co.uk/acatalog/Euro_Profile_Sash_Locks_.html

Or these, typically found on uPVC doors but are used on composite doors too...

http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/results.php?category_id=10

To find out which you have, take a look at your back door.....only if its the same type obviously.

Hinge pin wise from the picture it looks like the pin is already riding up so it looks removable, just knock it up with a this screwdriver and a hammer

Sponsored Links
Now im no qualified locksmith although i have been on various courses through previous employs, id like to see him spread your door, there will be no give at all in the door so any movement will be in the frame and that will certainly mean a bit of re-decoration around the inside edge.

If it was me i'd take the handle off, drill through the door, into the lock body and drill out the bolt stump or do what this bloke doe by lifting all 5 levers up over the bolt stump OR get a 4" angle grinder with a thin blade and cut through the bolt in between the door and frame.

If its a uPVC door type mech then its a different kettle, for this i would cut the bolt. Let your locksmith open your door for you then change the lock yourself.

There's also different drill points depending on make of lock. Without knowing the make and drill point, you could end up with your door looking like swiss cheese. Also, the youtube example shows drilling into the lever pack. If the lock is reversed (ie handed different), then you'd need to drill through the bolt before you even reach the levers - a totally different game.

Let the experts do the opening - and you do the lock change, if you can obain the correct replacement. Have to say, £180 for an opening and change is a little steep !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back