Front door UPVC handle has no visible screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My outside UPVC handle has slipped and is now fixed in the down position. I assume the inside of the handle has worn through and has slipped on the spindle. So thought I'd better get the handle off and have a look, or replace it.

However, I can't find any way of getting the handles off. (':cry:')
From the inside there are no visible screws. I've unscrewed the grub screws on both handles and tried using a flathead screwdriver to prize it off but no luck. There are clearly 2 screws going through the door holding the 2 handles tight to the door, but I just can't get access to the screwheads. I was hoping the inside handle was a faceplate that "snaps" on to a fixing fixed to the door, but I pushed pretty hard with the flathead and it wasn't going anywhere.

Does anyone know how the handle comes off? Hopefully some photos will help. In the second photo I'm holding onto a piece of plastic that is separate from the handle - I'm pretty sure the screw goes through the piece of plastic, and I think the handle faceplate is clipped onto that piece of plastic.

Any help would be hugely appreicated!(':LOL:')

Sponsored Links
The black plastic bit in your fingers is the clip that is holding the handles on (there is another at the bottom).
Loosen the grub screw on the inside of the handle untill it nearly falls out then use a chisel or strong flat screwdriver in behind the side of the handle near the clip to force the handle away.

I would highly recommend using a thin but tough bit of cardboard or plastic ruler to prevent scratching the door.

Good luck those clips are pretty tough

Thanks gazman. I was hesitant to try forcing it but your explanation has sorted it. Many thanks - a call to the locksmith avoided

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back