Front step

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you experts on here can help me.

I want to put a step at the front of my garden. Currently, there are two brick piers either side of the opening from the street. In between these is a concrete path which slopes down and leads away to the front door.

My plan is to batten across the back and the front of the piers thus creating a rectangular frame bordered by the 2 battens and the brick piers. The battens will be cut so as to be level. I then plan to fill the frame with concrete or similar and thus create the step.

My questions are:

1. What is the best material for this project? I am assuming a wet mix of concrete which will need to be tamped down and levelled but I have seen dry mixes advertised where the dry mix is levelled and then sprinkled with water. Any views?

2. Given that the material will be going on top of old concrete, do I need to key the old stuff with PVA or similar? Also, do I need any strengthening for the step (The dimensions are approximately 800mm x 200mm with a variable depth of 20mm to 60mm [to account for filling in the slope])

3. What do I need to coat the inside of the wooden battens with to prevent sticking. I have been told cooking oil works!!

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice on this one.

B

Sponsored Links
You are creating a trip hazard to the entrance from the street!

Put the step a metre further in.

Sponsored Links
Sorry i misread that :oops: thought you were creating a riser.

It's a new step where one wasn't before. The step up from street level will amount to 20mm.

Don't tell me there's some sort of regulation......Arghhh

B

Sorry i misread that :oops: thought you were creating a riser.

It's a new step where one wasn't before. The step up from street level will amount to 20mm.

Don't tell me there's some sort of regulation......Arghhh

B

A 20mm rise would be more of a hazard than a bigger rise because less noticeable. There are no regs, though, as long as it is not part of the front of the building.

can you not hack away the top end few inches and then from the pavement level give it say a 3degree angle up to help shed water that may try and come off the public path onto your garden back to the highway

Thanks to all of you who have replied...............

That's what I love about this forum - going off at tangents.

Juts to put you in the picture (no pun intended) I have posted a picture. In short, the concrete slopes down at about 30-35 degrees from the pavement level. My plan was to create a level step with a small rise at the front (to prevent ingress) and a larger rise at the back (this will be a continued level with the rest of what I am doing with the front garden)

I intended to put two posts and a gate in the gap.

I was aware of the potential hazard to those who seek to litigate at the drop of a hat and, to that end, intended to put a small hazard angle at the front of the step plus the usual 'Mind the step' sign on the front gate.

Following on from what you have all posted...

I could create the step so as to be level with the pavement at the front but this would allow water to run into the garden from street level.

As suggested, I could make such a step rise up slightly but I would then have to cut both posts to that angle before fitting.

FYI - the front door is about 40 feet away.

Not sure why this would 'restrict access' and, in any event, there is a very large step at the front door as well as adequate access from street level via the carport gates 3 feet away (the carport access is an identical setup to the one in the picture save that the width is obviously much greater)

As always, your views are much appreciated.

I would especially like any help on the original questions.....

B

You can't add 20mm of concrete on top of existing.

No matter what you do, it won't bond.

If you need to build a step then you need to break out the existing concrete and pour a new step into formwork to give you the desired design. Brush oil onto the face of the formwork (WBP ply will do the job) to ensure that you can release it when done.

Thanks newboy.

That's what I was afraid of (new concrete not bonding to old base)

Are there any alternative products which would do the same job?

Years ago I created a step on a new build , by building a frame up of bull nosed engineering bricks and filling the centre with concrete. It looked really nice. the problem came in winter when the concrete infill went like glass with any frost, but the engineering bricks remained ice free.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back