Fuel prices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where are they going? Where will they level off? My guess is about £1.50.
Do you care? How would it affect you? Will it affect the way you vote if they keep on rising?

Sponsored Links
Joe,

Questions, questions, questions.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

It's worse than if there was a General Election around the corner.

joe, another futile question as YOU well know and no doubt will point out if we enter into this debate.

2008, they peaked at around £1.30 a litre. They then dropped back to the low 90p's a litre. They have been creeping up slowly ever since.

Look at the two things affecting pump prices. Crude and tax.

Crude oil, as you know, is running out. As it becomes scarcer and arab countries become greedier, and the war in Iraq and Afghanistan continues, prices will rise.

Tax. This government will not cut tax on fuel for at least a few years. It simply cannot afford to, and any tax cut will be in the region of a few pence (which will have to be added to another tax - fags? booze?) The only way to reduce any tax sustainably is to cut the amount of money going out of the govt by the same amount, which isnt gonna happen for a while yet.

Quite simply joe, fuel prices will not affect the way people vote. Nobody can cut fuel prices sustainably.

The rise is mainly down to the drop in the value of the pound. When crude goes back up the price will go up again and again.

Sponsored Links
So Nosey isn't bothered so what about the rest of you?

The rise is mainly down to the drop in the value of the pound. When crude goes back up the price will go up again and again.

Q. And why is that
A. because fuel is traded in dollars

Q. And who benefits from that?
A. The americans, its win/win - the dollar goes up they get more fuel for there money, it goes down, people want to buy more dollars.

Q. Cant we trade fuel in another currency?
A. The last country that tried that was Iraq, they were going to trade fuel in Euros. Thats why the USA invaded them. That could have ended up with the USA actually having to pay a realistic price for fuel, like the rest of us, so they were never going to let that happen.

Fuel (diesel/petrol) will be about £9 a gallon by xmas.
Personally I don't care as I don't buy the stuff. :D

Fuel (diesel/petrol) will be about £9 a gallon by xmas.
Personally I don't care as I don't buy the stuff. :D

well you will when the supermarkets and other shops start putting massive price rises on shop goods because there having to pass on the huge increases in the cost of goods haulage.

The cost of fuel is a major element in inflation and the cost of living, and impacts you even if you never directly buy a single drop .

wont affect me I am thinking of getting a push bike for the summer...mot and road tax expire end of this month...and I cant afford it.

oh well at least it's nice weather

wont affect me I am thinking of getting a push bike for the summer...mot and road tax expire end of this month...and I cant afford it.

oh well at least it's nice weather

You ever thought of starting up a Landscaping business?

UK Petrol Prices for

Thursday 8th Apr 2010

......................Avg. ......Min. ...... Max.
Unleaded:.........120.1p ...115.9p... 129.9p
Diesel:.............120.9p... 115.9p... 132.9p
LRP:................120.8p ...117.9p... 124.9p
Super:.............126.8p ...118.9p ...137.9p
LPG:................64.5p .....56.9p .....69.9p

Does anyone else think it is about time that garages and the oil companies started crediting drivers with at least an ounce of common sense and got rid of the stupid .9p on the price of petrol.

Just round it up or down to the next penny and it would make more sense.
When they next alter the price by 1p, they should either come down .9p or increase it 1.1p.

When passing garages I sometimes look at the signs and just think 'one, one eight' and ignore the .9 bit. The last one was 'one, one six' so will remember that when I need to fill up and am passing that way.

They should stop displaying numbers...and use graphics:-

One arm ...... depicting........... cheap :D
one arm and a leg .................dearer :)
two arms and one leg ........expensive :mad:
two arms and two legs .......exorbitant :evil:

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Back