Functioning Hotpoint Aquarius WD420 - F13 error

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
F13 = Blinking lights - 1,2&4 & Rapid blinking - on/off button.

Happy new year folks!

My Hotpoint Aquarius WD420G is out of warranty (2006), so I am attempting to fix the issues on this machine which is used infrequently.
The washer and dryer both function and finish their cycles.
The washing machine is also used less than once a month and the dryer has been used less than 15 times in its lifetime.

Error
I have the strangest error after replacing my PCB (MK4 - EMW) which solved a blinking lights problem.

1. The washing machine turns itself on (hours or minutes later), after been in off mode, and flashes F13.
2. F13 - Error is sometimes displayed after a period of time after a successful and completed wash cyle.
3. When the lights are flashing, I can sometimes hear a clicking every 9 seconds possibly the relay, but not in sync with the lights.

I replaced the NTC Thermistor thinking that this was the fault, this didn't solve the problem.

Has anyone any ideas what this could be?

----------------------------------------------------------
1. unknown ?
2. NTC thermistor
3. ? heater element ?
4. Fan

Sponsored Links
Does it get hot on the dry cycle. Does the fan go round. 1 is the one shot if it gets too hot it pops out.

Hi and thank you for your help

The dryer works, and blows air into the machine as far as I can tell, I hear the fan working.
The metal housing in the picture gets hot all over.
I opened the door and the test item and surrounding air was hot.

I have no idea what item 1 is in the picture (would not know what to order), it has not popped out as far as I can tell.

Can I test the item 1 with a multimeter, do I test for resistance or continuity?

Regards

EDIT
I just did another dryer test, then turned the machine off from the off button, I left the dial on `M`.
The machine activated again after a while,showed F13, and the dryer started drying. WEIRD, I do not have ghosts in my house!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The reason I have posted the picture is because F13 points to drying.

No need to test cos as you say it's getting hot. It would be cold air blowing not hot if it had popped. Have you cleaned the fan blades and the fluff filter on the back of the heater box.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I edited the above post, I had new info.

I took the heater assembly off:
The fan is clean and turns (visual).
The heater is working, it blows hot air into the drum.
The internals heater assembly is spotless.
I cannot see a fluff filter on the back of the heater box, but I see the inlet goes downwards?

All the tests you have done have pointed to a pcb fault.

Thank you for all your help

The fault has been driving me crazy, I have never heard of a machine activating itself before.

I will get in touch with EMW as the board came with a 6 month warranty.

Regards

UPDATE

Dear Rocks1

I now have my new PCB, I tested the machine fully; the machine no longer behaves badly.

I have written to EMW, because they claim that the PCB I sent back was tested and error free on arrival, something was clearly wrong with the PCB, because I am now error free!

Resolved and thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back