Furnox TF1 or SpiroTrap MB3

Sponsored Links
I fitted the Spirivent MB3 and it's a very solid piece of kit. I cleaned out the system and fitted it. After 6 months it trapped some rust. In 6 months time will check again.

I fitted a Fernox TF1 three weeks ago. So far I am still emptying it twice a week and it spits out a load of black magnetite every time.

Emptying is very easy. Just turn a tap and it drains out the bottom into my old ice cream tub. Loads of black crud.

Very happy with it.

Sponsored Links
Probably the Fernox works faster (more efficient separation) but the Spiro is a lovely solid thing and may well last longer. I got a Spiro 2 cheap off EBay but if paying full price now would probably go for TF1.

I fitted a Spirotech MB3 about 18 months ago and have been pleased with the results so far.

The body is a good solid construction which is what sold me on it. The only downside I have discovered lately is the clip used to secure the magnet to the body weakens and eventually breaks. Having said that their Customer Services dispatched a handful of replacements without question.

One of the advertising features for the MB3 is the lack of a need for stop taps (which are obviously fitted on the TF1).

I'm presuming it's a full drain to purge and dose with cleaner as opposed to the TF1?

I do like the robust nature of the MB3, but if the TF1 is more efficient, I'd rather have something that traps more crud. The CH system it's going on is 30 years old in places, don't want to knacker a shiney new boiler with the crud I'm sure is in there, even though it was maintained annually.

I have the older Spiro fitted and it works superbly. Fitted close to boiler on return. All brass=no problems with leaks. I hope your system was cleaned correctly before new boiler installation. These are not a substitute for correct cleaning.View media item 85930

As 45yearsgasman says, if you are looking to collect lots of rust and crud you need to get as much of it out it in one go. May as well chuck in some Sentinel X400 or Fernox f3 for one month, then flush out. With system drained fit the filter.

Are you going to DIY it? If so don't fit one now, wait until Winter has well and truly gone! ;)

Remember to top up inhibitor when you extract the muck. I take out 1 litre every 6 months and top up with a dash of Fernox MB1 in to the header tank. If you have a sealed system perhaps the Fernox filter is best bet as you can top up inhibitor through that.

>I'm presuming it's a full drain to purge

No, just a few seconds blast to clear out the crud - it uses the water pressure to clean itself out.

You can't add anything through the Spiro.

I do warranty work for a boiler manufacturer. And Id say the most common call out I get over the last year is for leaking Fernox filters. The are infact terrible units. The leak constantly. The Spirotec is all I have ever fitted and never had one with so much as a drip. 20 year warranty on the unit says it all. ANd it will filter non magnetic debris also.

The system is currently empty (there's another thread on here about the system itself) so it'll need flushing anyways.

I was told the water that came out "wasn't that bad", but that is hardly descriptive. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of being able to run the system for a month prior to putting new boiler in as there isn't one in the system at all presently and we move into the house in 3 weeks.

Not being able to add anything through the spiro... I did see a flush connector is available, but little information about it. Seems like either a full drain down, swap out the unit with the flush connector and refill? or am I missing a trick here?

"Dosing point for Fernox ‘F’ range products" stated on the Fernox site, does that mean it needs some proprietary gear to do it? Presumably fernox related...

I'm erring towards the spiro purely due to the fact it "looks" like it should be there. I'm digging the brass look over plastic look, lol. Plus, it's cheaper, haha. No point in spending hte extra cash if the outcome is the same =D

The spirotech doesn't really do anything and can clog. Whereas the Fernox TF1 is a good filter but leaks. Have you consider the granddaddy of all filters the Adey Pro 2?

I do warranty work for a boiler manufacturer. And Id say the most common call out I get over the last year is for leaking Fernox filters. The are infact terrible units. The leak constantly. The Spirotec is all I have ever fitted and never had one with so much as a drip. 20 year warranty on the unit says it all. ANd it will filter non magnetic debris also.

Where does it leak from usually? Mine has been OK so far, but it's only been in a month. I'm trying to avoid unscrewing the main unit at the top and just emptying it from the base. Will that help avoid leaks?

Mostly from the lid, a few from the body where the filter can be rotated. All the ones I've seen haven't yet been opened or emptied yet but still leaking from the lid.

Saw a couple fine at a bar, drained system and they've started pouring water at half a bar! Draining from the boiler not even the filter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back