Fuse box replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

First post on the forum and looking for some advice. I'm getting a new bathroom and kitchen installed. I've been advised that fuse box will need replacing to accommodate new induction hob, illuminated mirror for bathroom and extra sockets in kitchen. I don't doubt for a second the box has to be replaced but builders advice is anything between 400 & 1000. So I've atched some pictures to the post for some advice on pricing etc or rewiring.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1445272363318895924458.jpg
    1445272363318895924458.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 1445272394619-1949248747.jpg
    1445272394619-1949248747.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 172
Sponsored Links
As that has no RCDs in it, it would require some adding, and although it is possible to add them externally (as has been done with the shower circuit), it is somewhat pointless to do so as you will need them for all of the new/extended circuits.

400+ is reasonable, difficult to see how anyone could do it properly for less. Could be a lot more depending on the condition of the existing wiring and the location of gas/water supplies.
The proper option is a unit with a main switch and RCBOs for each circuit.
The cheap-o-matic option with the bonus of added inconvenience is a unit with two RCDs and a selection of MCBs.
It will need to be a steel enclosure from January, so might as well have one of those fitted now.

Sponsored Links
First post on the forum and looking for some advice. I'm getting a new bathroom and kitchen installed. I've been advised that fuse box will need replacing

It is kind of due for replacement anyway
- missing front lid to keep fingers away from live bits round the fuseholders
- 40A MCB should be fitted nearest main switch - if this unit can take a 40A, which is questionable
- missing grommet strip in meter tail entry hole?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back