Fusebox/Wiring Electric Hob & Oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy,

I'm thinking of replacing my standalone gas oven with a built in electric oven (rated 2780W Total Electrical Loading) and an electric induction hob (4 rings using a total 7000 Watts) on top.

My fusebox is in the cellar and is the old type where you thread the wire through a cartridge. It has a 60 amp maximum load and four cartridges, (5W,15W,15W and 30W).

In the kitchen I have one spare spur (? plug socket with no plugholes thingy) with a thick wire coming out, I assume it was used for a cooker in the past.

My questions are:

Could the additional spur be run off the existing one or does it need to go direct to the fusebox (and if so is this a major operation being several metres away and in the basement, the flat is the ground floor of a converted terrace house)?

Do I have to replace the fusebox (last time I had an electrician in he said to keep the existing one but I remember he said there were some new rules)?

Would I need two visits from the electrician (one to fit spur behind the cabinets and another to wire the appliances up once they'd been replaced)?

Would I be better off just getting a gas cooker and induction hob?

Any indicators of costs in London?

Thanks for any advice, I did just phone a local electrician but couldn't hear him due to mobile reception.

Mac

Sponsored Links
Would I be better off just getting a gas cooker and induction hob?
Getting a gas cooker would obviously avoid all the electrical issues, but you'd have to be satisfied with it having a standard gas hob - there is no such thing as a "gas induction hob" .... or did you mean a gas cooker and an electric induction hob?

Kind Regards, John

From your description which is pretty difficult to understand (no offence intended), you are almost certainly due a new Consumer unit. It sounds like you may have an existing cooker circuit although its hard to tell from your description and whether its upto standard is another question entirely.

I am up north so im not sure of London prices but you may be looking at around £500 for a CU change at a guess dependent on any existing issues, i.e bonding in place etc. A new cooker circuit will depend on length of run, difficulty and other factors but it may not be required.

Best thing would be to get a decent electrician around to give you a quote if you go down the electric route.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies folks, I thought I had explained things reasonably clearly but apparently not (yes I meant a gas oven with electric induction hob John). Put it down to my complete ignorance of the subject, my apologies.

Anyway after a bit more effort I managed to find an electrician who spoke intelligible English, his advice was similar to yours Industryspark and he suggested going for gas if I wanted to avoid the cost of a new consumer unit and all the other gubbins.

Thanks once again.
Mac

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back