Fused spur and single socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a fused spur at counter height leading to a single socket at floor height for a washing machine. That part of the kitchen has no other power sockets. Is there anything on the market that allows me to retain the fused spur serving the washing machine socket underneath, but allows me to have another power socket at counter height within the same box or converted to a double box. In other words, I'd like a double box with the fused spur one side and a socket the other side. What's the name of the item would I need to get?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
If you want it right next to the FCU you'll need a dual box (not a 2-gang one, that won't take 2 single-gang accessories side by side).

AP636.JPG

Make sure you have both sockets on the load side of the FCU...

And are you aware that the work is notifiable?

Thanks for the fast reply. I was hoping there would be a unit, single or double all in one, but if it's got to be separates, so be it. I'll now be able to tell my electrician what he'll need to bring (!)

Thanksa again

Thanks for the fast reply. I was hoping there would be a unit, single or double all in one, but if it's got to be separates, so be it. I'll now be able to tell my electrician what he'll need to bring (!)

Thanksa again

If your current FCU has a white surface mount back box, you can get double versions of those also, that will take two single front plates, e.g. an FCU and a socket.

Sponsored Links
No, it's a flush fit, but thanks for the info.

It seems such a trivial job to be a notifiable one.

I'll now be able to tell my electrician what he'll need to bring.
He would have known all along, and will have one in his van anyway - you didn't need to do any of this.

Make sure he's registered, as that'll be the easiest way to get the notification done.

Notification is not about complexity, it's about trying to force people to give more kitchen refurbishment work to electricians.

So if it's not about complexity, it means that a simple job needs an electrician. This would create more tax and national insurance contributions, and help to keep money circulating. No wonder the government want more work done by electricians (and other skilled self employed).

I had a shower connected by an electrician - he charged me over £50 for 40 minutes work. I appreciate the training, regulations, more regulations, retraining, etc etc but that £50 would take more than two days for me, a minimum wage earner to earn after transport, stoppages, expenses.

The shower was plumbed in in 9 hours (including connecting a new bath). That cost £440.

'Nuf said.

£50 to a competent electrician is better than £30 to a dodgy one. In fact if that's £50 inc VAT then he'll see less than £35 after taxes.

Whether £50 to a competent sparky instead of DIY to the rules is another matter.

The council should offer a subsidised inspection service for small jobs if their aim really was to remove cowboys rather than just to inflate the price and obfuscate the process.

Make sure you have both sockets on the load side of the FCU..
Or you could incorporate the new socket into the ring final circuit if the fused spur is already part of one.

Just split the two cables that should be connected to the (supply side) of the fused spur, between the fused spur and the new socket. Then connect a link between them using a 2.5mm TandE inside the back box.

I totally agree.

V

Thanks for the information. I just never realised that dual boxes exist.

Incidentally, the plumber's £440 included me doing the donkey work. After he left I had to relevel and screw down the bath feet, mastic the bath to the tiles, fit the end and side panels, fit a very heavy shower door to the wall, recut the carpet and numerous other related jobs. The fact that I got a plumber in avoided any awkward questions when selling the house - never mind the fact that I done about 90% of the whole job!

I get really fed up paying for holidays to Barbados that I never get to go to!

The council should offer a subsidised inspection service for small jobs if their aim really was to remove cowboys rather than just to inflate the price and obfuscate the process.
It's nothing to do with councils - a lot of them make things even worse.

As for removing cowboys - well, you should see how few qualifications you need to register with some of the schemes....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back