fused spur with socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a double socket with a 13a fused spur coming off of it. Then coming off the fused spur I have another double socket. I want to know if this is safe/ok as Im going to rearange my kitchen and the socket that comes off of the spur will be used for a washing machine and tumble dryer, so wont be very accessible. When the spur is "off" this cuts off the power to the double socket (that the washing machine and tuble dryer will be conected to) so this is quite handy (as we have a 2 year old boy who has a habit of turning on the dryer.....i hope that makes sense?

Sponsored Links
It's safe but not OK as a washing machine and tumble drier used together will probably blow the fuse in the FCU.

ok...thanks. so is there a unit that I could use to replace the FCU, so the double socket that the washing machine and dryer will be connected to will still be able to "switch on/off"...I guess something like an FCU, but with no fuse? cheers. I suppose I could take the FCU out of the equasion, but it would be very usful to still be able to control the power to the washer/dryer....as always advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You really could do with a single socket for each appliance.

hmm...the thing is the 1st double socket and FCU are at the usual work surface height and the 2nd double socket (that comes off the FCU) is below the work surface. We like the idea of still being able to control the power the the double socket under the worktop as we have small children and they have a habit of turning the machines on. Wouldnt a 20amp or 32amp switch suffice as a replacement for the FCU (which is 13amp) or could I get a higher amp fuse for the exisiting FCU?....this is not a new set up, and it looks like this has purposly been done to work as we want it to...I just wanted to make sure its all OK....I guess it all boils down to how much draw our particular washing machine and tuble dryer has....I'll see if I can find the wattage for both and I'll work it out.

i've just checked the wattage of my washing machine and at full spin it will draw 1.02kw. I cant find the tumble dryer spec (its quite old) but I cant see it being any higher than the washing machine. So it looks like the total draw is going to be in the region of 2000 watts. I make this under 9amps, so im assuming the exisiting FCU (13amp) will be capable of servicing the 2 units?....am I overlooking anything?

Its not full spin that you need to worry about!, its when its sat there at the start of the cycle heating water for the boil wash thats the most onerous condition!

Also, the heaters in a tumble dryer are normally in the 1500-2500 watt region. Think of the heat coming out of the hose, and the amount of it.

ok, so to be on the safe side, lets say the washer draws 2000w (even though the maunfacturers tech docs say its 1000) and the tumble dryer draws the same. This makes 4000w (17.3amps). So is it possible to replace the FCU with a higher amp switch (lets say 20amp) or can you put a larger fuse in an FCU?...its unlikely both machines will be running at the same time, so I think this is a bit of over concern...Im just trying to find out if the FCU can be replaced or have the fuse increased.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back