Gable end opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, my first post. I need to cut a small opening in the gable end in the attic space to allow me to enter my extension roof space I had built a long time ago so I can top up the insulation

Will I need to support above the opening considering I can't get to the other side? If so how can I do it?

The opening will only be about one metre wide and maybe 2 metres high just enough to squeeze through

Any advice will be appreciated, thanks

Sponsored Links
Jeez are you a giant or something? I'd be making it 600wide and 1200high or similar. What is the construction of the gable wall? Cavity or solid or what? How thick?

Gable masonry is one of the most vulnerable parts of a building, so tread carefully. Aim for a central as possible.

Ensure you are not interfering with any purlins or ceiling binders when deciding on your opening position.

As Freddie has said, you only need crawl space.

I would create my opening in the one side and fit lintel. I would then make an opening through the outer leaf, only large enough to shine a torch and have a peek at what I'm facing. I would decide what to do on this side, once I can see what I'm faced with.

It's a cavity wall brick & block, looks like 5inch blocks
I don't need a huge hole so just tred carefully

Thanks for the advice

Sponsored Links
I was under the impression that any new opening would require planning permission. Irrespective of that, why dont you just install a hatch and loft ladder? Easier, cheaper, neater, and means you can also access anduse the space for storage in any weather.
jay

Surely a new opening, presumably with either a door or window on an otherwise blank external wall would materially alter the look of the building and require permission?

Jay

Well seeing as the opening in question is in a wall in between two internal roof voids and above the ceiling so completely out of view then no, planning permission would not be required. :p

That said even if wanted to put a new doorway in his exposed gable end (access might be a problem :p ) then that wouldn't need Planning Permission anyway unless the house was listed.

Ì can,t see anywhere a mention of it being internal?? It just says in the gable end?
anyway, i have just checked and you are quite right, externally no pp required unless listed, although it must be of same size style as existing openings and is needed if coucil has issued article 4 dire tion removing and further permited development rights.
i still think a hatch is a better option.

Jay

I need to cut a small opening in the gable end in the attic space to allow me to enter my extension roof space I had built a long time ago

He had a house with a gable end. He added an extension onto the gable, the existing gable wall is now internal.

He threw you by saying it was the gable end, whilst it once was it is not anymore.

Thanks for the input guys, I thought the opening would be an easier option as I've not long had the ceilings replastered after removing artex so reluctant to put a hole in it. I know it's a bit arse about face. I should of thought about the hatch before

If you go for a minimal sized hole, put a nice shiny board or vinyl flooring between the two voids, much easier to slide on then glass fibre insulation and joists.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back