Gable end

Diz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The gable end on the front of my 1930's detached house is currently tiled onto a ply backing. I believe from similar houses in the area that it would originally have been filled in with render onto a chicken-mesh type of backing. With this in mind I am concerned that too much weight may have been added to the structure; bearing in mind that the gable is supported by the bay windows below.

Is this considered to be an acceptable modification or should I have the gable restored to the original design?

Your comments would be appreciated.

Diz.

Sponsored Links
Woody,

I've had a problem with the replacement double glazed windows jamming due to the frames distorting. The double glazing supplier have rectified the problem by reinforcing the windows with additional steel-work in the hollow upright sections but I can't help wondering if the weight of the tiles is compounding the problem?

hi, trying to read between the lines here.
you are saying your gable end is currently plywood lining with a tiled face which is all supported by your bay window?.
the weight which is causing your new windows to buckle.

i wouldn't imagine your bays are taking the weight of your gable.
more likely to be either the floor or ceiling trusses above your bay.

either way the weight difference between concrete tile and mesh and render would be negligable.

Sponsored Links
Alastair,

Thanks for your reply and for reading between the lines...

I was concerned that it was the difference in the weight between the render and the tiles that could be compounding the compression/buckle of the windows.

If there is no difference, or little difference, then I have nothing to worry about and will leave the gable end as it is.

Thanks again, Diz

Some window installers will use a standard frame for bays and not use reinforced posts.

Your installers seem to have made this mistake, and that may have been your problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back