Gable roof...Cutting Verge Tiles to Fit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it normal practice to manually cut all the overhanging gable end tiles to fit the overhanging roof verge and then mortar over the edge them to make them look smooth?

I think I have described this correctly. I just saw a very rought cut edge of all these tiles....now it is mortard it looks smooth and nice....but just wondered.

Sponsored Links
No.

What we do is use a tile then a tile 'n' half up each gable the run the cut to the middle or away from the verges.

No.

What we do is use a tile then a tile 'n' half up each gable the run the cut to the middle or away from the verges.

Interesting, can you explain what you mean by "run the cut to the middle or away from the verges"

I did not see them doing it, but i heard lots of circular sawing and when I looked out of my window, I noticed all the verge tiles on the gable end looked very rough and not exactly even, so I assumed (as it looked like it) that they had just put the tiles on and cut their edges untill they met the verge edge. As I say, they have now mortard the edge. But rather then leaving the tile edges visible, the have mortard them too...so it looks neat...but cut rough underneath....

Sponsored Links
Oh right, you are referring to concrete interlocking tiles.

These are indeed run in from one gable end and then cut up the other gable.
These tiles have a gutter edge and a lap edge to each tile and interlock together meaning you can only cut the tiles at each end or verge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back