Galaxy g2-12 SMS alerts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

i'm after a bit of advice. I connected my galaxy up to PSTN line and set it up using open telecom for receiving sms alerts. As i was in the testing stage i set this up to send all alerts, including set and unset. To which i was receiving a text message.. (often quite a delayed one). As i was getting a comms fail error the other day i decided to turn this feature off.

I got my phone bill today which was a bit expensive!!! :(

can anyone advise a better solution for monitoring my alarm? i quite liked the text messages, as i could see who was coming and going in the house, and also gave detailed descriptions of what zones have been triggered.

thanks!

Chris

Sponsored Links
Think most Galaxy people on here will point you at Self mon service via an Ethernet module...ps have you got broadband and did you filter the alarm panel for the text messages ?

I have the selfmon service which sparkymarka mentions. You buy an ethernet module for a little under fifty quid, then use the selfmon self monitoring service at a quid per month. This gives you texts/emails/voice calls for alarm events, all configured by you. Emails are free, texts are 5p, and IIRC voice calls are 11p or so. Once you've used your one quid you get charged extra accordingly. It's all done by paypal.

I've no affiliation to the company other than being a happy customer BTW.

Sponsored Links
Open tap £0.50 per message .... Standard sms via Voda £0.12-0.19 per message depending on your landline supplier...

Open tap £0.50 per message .... Standard sms via Voda £0.12-0.19 per message depending on your landline supplier...

When monitoring set/unset Etc, this could easily amount to 50 SMS a week, so £35 - £100 a month via TAP or £10 via IP. I was just wondering what that meant to the OP's quarterly phone bill.

I would probably advise on adding a panel SIA based GSM module if the customer was requiring > 50 detailed SMS a week. Downside being the module cost... The GSM doesn't have any remote path checking, but a daily SMS test would give some peace of mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back