Galaxy glow plug lights!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I started the car yesterday and when I set off a bleep came from the dash and then the glow plug light started flashing, is this something

big or not, and can I sort it myself, if possible.

Thanks .

Sponsored Links
Some diesel cars have a particle filter in the exhaust, and if the filter is clogging up the glow plug light flashes to tell you to keep driving until it goes out! Normally a blast up the motorway for 20 minutes or so will sort it (none saving planet mode).

Some diesel cars have a particle filter in the exhaust, and if the filter is clogging up the glow plug light flashes to tell you to keep driving until it goes out! Normally a blast up the motorway for 20 minutes or so will sort it (none saving planet mode).
Thats a good reply, how sure are you have you had the same issue?

Get it with my van now and then, but that's a vauxhall combo 1.3cdti, don't know about fords as such but they will have something similar. Usually states in the handbook! Normally only a problem if mainly used for short journeys.

Sponsored Links
check to see if your brake lights work?

follow instructions posted in the galaxy forum for you, ;) :LOL:
by various peeps,
did you do a search on there?

I havnt checked the galaxy forum but I could'nt find the search facility when I went last week! :oops:

Since never owning a diesel with a DPF on , I would have expected the engine management light to come on , like one post say's , give it a good blast for 20 plus minutes , either motorway or just in a lower gear , the idea is to get it hot enough to burn off the particles , but it may have also run out of the fluid that gets added to the fuel , i think a tank lasts about 40K.

On most diesels , it means that one of your heater/glow plugs is faulty , if so , you need to change all of them and not just the one . Being summer and warmer , the engine will start ok , but when it gets colder you will find starting harder and usually will get a cloud of smoke on start up !

If you have a meter , follow the leads back , normally to a large relay box , if you can open it and gain access to the plug connector, unplug it and measure the resistance of each , one lead to earth and one at a time to the pins going to the glowplug , they should all be the same or very close. On some older engines it is just one lead feeds them all , so this method is no good , you would have to take the lead of all and test them directly.

As I said before , If it is a faulty plug , you have to change them all , otherwise you will start to have prob's with the others shortly afterwards , thats why they are normally sold in sets.

If it is a plug and you are going to replace them yourself , the tank of fuel before use plenty of diesel cleaner in and give it a good blast as said earlier . Also , soak the threads in WD or something simular the night before , as they can be a pain to remove , they can break-off and drop into cylinder , then normally its a head off job !!

If it is the DPF , you may have noticed higher fuel consumption recently , normally a sign that is the prob. If keeping the car , some can be removed and the ECU remapped. Will still pass MOT no prob's and you will notice the engine run better too.

Take them off and remap !!! Better mpg , smoother running , more power , NO LIMP MODE trips homes !

Whilst your'e at it , take the inside of the cat out too. Still pass MOT !

Just google your car and the the word "defap"

On the old Peugeot 405 that I use to own the glowplug light use to flash if there was any water detected in the fuel filter bowl.
It could be that your glowplug light is indicating something similar.

Wotan

as i believe it has now sorted itself out newgas,ive amended your profile over on the galaxy site.to help others when you ask future questions there, ;)

Sponsored Links
Back