Gale force draught

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, the colder weather is just starting which has reminded me that during the winter my orangery is unusable due to the cold draught. This is an extension completed about 4 years ago. The flat roof of the extension has (very expensive) insulation fitted at roof level, but the gale blows between the ceiling and the roof and therefore through the downlights. The builder says that the void has to breathe, which i understand, but what is the point of the insulation if you allow the cold air in underneath? I can't believe this is how it should be - or have I missed something? Any advice will be welcome please. Regards Richard

Sponsored Links
What's the roof covering, and the insulation The void needs to breathe, but it could have been sealed, and a breather membrane fitted under the tile with a gap above that. Are the downlighters halogen, or LED. Can you fit a fire rated cover into the holes, and then fit an LED downlighter afterwards.

Hello Doggit, the roof covering is Asphalt or maybe Bitumen, and the insulation is Kingsmill 110 + 6mm plywood. the downlighters are halogen.
I understand that the void needs to breathe, but it just seems crazy to install the insulation and then allow the cold air underneath it. Regards Richard

Is the insulation fitted directly above the plasterboard with a gap above. Or directly below the roof with a gap below? If its designed as a cold roof the problem may be that you have fitted downlighters cut into the insulation.

Sponsored Links
Have you taken one of the downlighters out to check if they've cut in to the insulations, and is there a gap, above or below the insulation.

Surely the whole point is that the void above the insulation has to breathe? There shouldn't be cold air getting in on what should be the warm side of the insulation.

Cheers
Richard

Hey All, thank for the replies, and sorry about the Kingsmill, guess i should have toasted it first! Anyway, the insulation is the roof side of the void, the ceiling is just standard plasterboard. i do regret the downlights, and i am considering removing, and sealing, but it doesn't solve the 'logic' of the breathing being below the insulation? Regards Richard

The breathing/ventilation should be above the kingspan, and therefore the ventilation holes in the soffit. Do you know if there is a gap above it that can be vented, or have they stuck it right up to the roof.

OK so you have a warm roof which means the insulation is outside the structure and effectively the structure is "inside" (same as your skirting boards etc) so there shouldn't be ventilation from outside. It's a bit like getting triple glazing and then leaving it wide open. Get the builder to make sure the insulation is continuous on the outside of the structure.

There is no gap between the roof and the Kingspan, and no way to access the void without removing the ceiling. The builder insists it is correctly done, and doesn't want to know. So a dead end i guess unless I spend a fortune and have it re-done. Many thanks for all the replies.

It a probably the ends that are letting a draught in. Could you remove the fascia or soft it to check insulation there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back