Galvanised steel manhole replacement frame fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Our galvanised steel frame has rusted away and needs replacing. Its a standard 450 x 600 size. However, the origional builders (a national house builder) have installed the concrete reinforced housing that the frame sits in unlevel. Additionally, half of the cover is on the drive, and half is on the pavement. As the drive is a small shared drive, everytime we park our car on the drive, we run over one side of the manhole cover. This can't be avoided if our neighbour has parked on the drive too.

So, my question is how best to re-bed a galvanised steel frame to a correct level. Are pre-cast concrete frames available that the frame would just sit in?

Also, just to add we will be having an extension in the next year and will need to run new drainage into the chamber.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Sponsored Links
Id replace it with a deeper frame and lid, the type where you can fill the top in with either paviors, or in your case a strong screed mix or concrete, to match the path.
Chop the old frame out, this will give you a chance of leveling the new one up.

Thanks for the reply Cotswold builder.

The concrete path will within the next year or two be gone and inprinted concrete will be in its place. The drive however will remain the same, so I didnt want a fill top one as the manhole stradles the two types of finish, so I think either a galvanised cover or one of the black type of covers would be better.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Thanks Andy.

What mix would I need to bed the new frame in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back