Gap at end of guttering causing problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

On the left edge of the dormer guttering some water gets down between the plastic guttering and the wall and eventually causes water ingress along that line, either at the top of the window frame or at the bottom.

I discovered flashing tape and have applied some now to channel the water in that corner straight into the guttering, but I would like to know what is the correct permanent solution to this situation.

And that area behind the downpipe is not looking too clever as the pipe has sort of worn down the masonry, what is the best solution there too ?

Thanks for any help.

full

Sponsored Links
OP,
I've just reviewed your historical posts on this subject of your various roof difficulties stretching back to early 2014.

I noticed that on 19/Feb/2014 items 7,8 & 9 advised you on more or less what you are asking now.
On 21 july 2014 you posted a pic of that corner showing detailed damage which had been pointed out to you already in February.

You now claim to have had repairs completed but the same leaks persist?

What exactly did the latest "good man" actually do in that area - your photo shows a paint job - there's no obvious indications that any, or all, of the rotten fascia and sub-fascia has been replaced or repaired?

I can advise you further ref the above if you wish but perhaps first you would put me in the picture as to what the situation is?

Sure.
Well at that point I was unsure of what the problem was. So i hired a leadworker / roofer recommended here who came to see the place and put some roof sealant between the large flashing plates on the dormer. There was a lot of obvious wetness in there due to the shallow angle and capillary action.
Also I sealed the area under the gutter solidly and repainted etc...
And all was great for a while.
Dry as a bone.
But it has begun again.
It is clear that water is now coming through from that gap between gutter and wall, and that has cracked open the repair I had done to that area.
So I am a looking for a way to permanently reroute the water in that area.

Move the stop end up against the wall. Silicone along the top.

Or extend the flashing past the roof edge and lap it into the gutter.

Sponsored Links
In almost every case when customers mention previous sealants used for water damage I become suspicious.
Sealants are all well and good at times, & I use them where necessary but not instead of finding causes and doing repairs,
The modern use of them is an epidemic contaminating housing fabric.

The area under the gutter, the fascia & sub-fascia, needs removing back to sound dry wood - if sound wood is there. Dont leave any perished looking wood in place.
The thing is you might reveal the timber "lintel" is damaged. The lintel might be the sub-fascia?
The side wood frame also looked possibly rotted in the earlier photos?

A patch of render needs renewing at that corner.

The soil pipe vent can be cut at a much lower level and an external AAV fixed - google them.

Google "kick outs" and obtain or make one, and fit it to divert the water into the gutter.

The RH down pipe should go all the way into the lower gutter - all the way.

Just double check that left window sash closes nice and tight. Close it and try to get your fingers in the gaps to pull it open. It should be tighter than a nuns chunt.
I know it's a long shot and probably not the sash but you never know. Clear the drain holes at the bottom whilst you're messing about being mr burglar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back