Gap between external kitchen wall and pebbledash patio????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

(Also put this in the Garden section, as not sure where its best suited (so feel free to delete on of these)

Thanks to help and advice on here we've finally renovated the house and moved in. Fingers crossed everything has gone well.

We've now moved on to the garden area and after removing moss, bushes, rubble etc we have noticed a bit of a gap between the original pebble dash patio and the kitchen wall.

It looks as though the original owners filled with concrete/cement/mortar???? But much of this has cracked, been displaced etc.

So the question is what do I need to do with the gap (below) between patio & wall and the remaining cracked cementy stuff???? Also planning on filling in the crack from corner to grass.

House is 1928 detached, much of it in it's original state and looking to keep the original pebbledash patio (we like the original character of the house and garden).

Happy to give it a go myself (I've learnt so inch over the last 6 months), but don't want to bodge anything or create a problem.

Any help would be brilliant!!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve (& Kelly)

Sponsored Links
1. You have continental drift; one plate is moving in one direction and the other plate is moving in the other direction.

2. Actually, you have a classic outside corner crack.

3. In modern construction we build-in crack lines so that the concrete cracks below the surface at outside corners.

4. If you want to keep the exposed aggregate slab then you could run a circular saw with a masonry blade, from the grass to the corner.

Cut two straight slots to take out the pressure crack. Chisel the last bit.

Cut all the way thro the concrete, and clear up any debris between the slots.

Then slip in a suitable section length of pressure treated wood (cuprinol or similar).

The wood will rot in time but merely replace it.

5. Ref your DPC level and your interior FFL, perhaps, research these issues on here.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

As you probably know, ideas (from the missus) quickly change and after your input we are thinking (she is demanding) of ripping it up and laying slabs. However, time, money and commitments mean it will probably be next year if we go down that route.

So is there anything I can/need to do in the mean time to make sure it doesn't cause a problem over the winter??

A helpful chappy on the garden forum suggested just leaving the small gully, particularly as DPC is three bricks above patio and seems intact.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back