gap in fascia panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
upload_2017-1-4_9-27-45.png

Hi,
I recently had the gutters cleaned and some repairs to the gutters.
The contractor pointed out an issue with the facial panel. ? (sorry don't know the correct term) but see red circle. it is gaping. The contractor reckoned it was an issue with the placing and tension of the telephone line (light blue), which was pulling on the moulding and preventing it from closing. He advised
asking BT to re position at points blue. We temporarily put in a wooden plug (orange) between gutter and fascia. But that is now resulting in pulling out the guttering too.
So even if the BT line move is the way to go. What will be required to fix the issue? close the gap? Could i hold BT accountable for the repairs?

Many thanks Mike

Sponsored Links
Don't call Bt, they will charge you £135 plus VAT to relocate the cable. Also, the fascia fitters should have notified BT that they were removing the cable and re-attaching it to the new plastic fascia. It's one of those things that every fascia installer has to do but no one ever does.

It might not be the cable, it might be the Fascias are poorly fitted which is what I can see from the picture. It does look about as straight as a football and also the spacing between the gutter bracket and outlet is miles off. Either way don't get BT involved see if it's something a local fascia fitter can sort. Putting the block under the guttering is only going to pull the gutter out and make things worse.

"the fascia fitters should have notified BT that they were removing the cable and re-attaching it to the new plastic fascia"

Hi roofline thanks for the reply
We do not know when the attaching to the fascia was done, or by who. This was prior to purchase. :(

I'm still trying to understand whether a fascia fitter is going to be able to fix this without the cable being first moved? I guess i won't know until i call a fitter out first. Also how much of a problem is this. Does it need some urgent attention now or can it wait until spring?

Regards Mike

It does not look like any problem with the phone wire from that photo. Looks like the facia has been cut too short and has come out of the end cap.

BT should be responsible for the fixing of their cables - unless the home owner has specifically altered the fixing - not some previous owner or previous contractor outside of the current homeowners control.

Likewise if the cable comes away in some high wind or something - BT refix it at their cost.

But from that image it does appear that the cable is properly fixed (a timber block behind the plastic fascia?), else it would normally have come off 10 minutes after screwing it to just the plastic fascia.

Sponsored Links
simply get the fascia fixed back properly, it's obviously not secured firmly at the end.
maybe even relocate the cable to the other side of the downpipe. its not rocket science..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back