Gap under interior block wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm in the process of doing up our first home and have found gaps and loose bricks/slate under one of the interior block walls. The house is a bungalow and the wall is not load baring. My thoughts are that the foundations have settled at some point and somebody has tried to shim the gaps with slate. I'm no builder though so i could be totally wrong. I also know that two other walls in the house have had some movement at some point because the door frames are way out and there is a gap between wall and ceiling. I really want to know what i should do before i get the walls skimmed and skirting fitted.

Sponsored Links
Pack with more slate or mortar. And hope that the foundations are not moving

ok cheers. I'm pretty sure there has been no recent movement as there are no obvious cracks in walls, even after removing all wallpaper. After removing various floorboard sections it looks like there may have been some settlement just after the house was built. It looks like floor joists and other walls have been packed out also. It's gonna be a struggle getting mortar in the gaps as there are floor joists either side of the walls but i shall give it a bash. shame i couldnt inject something in there.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back