Garage alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister has a garage at the bottom of her garden and would like an alarm installing so if anyone gets in it sounds an alarm in the house (the garage is quite far away from the house, approx 35-40 metres away).

She has an up and over door and a side door on the garage so I don't know whether you can get sensors for both of those or whether a motion type sensor would be better.

They are laying a duct for a mains cable at the moment so I can get a telephone/data cable to the garage from the house if I'm quick to connect it all up.

Are there any systems around that could do this sort of thing, I have seen some wireless ones in the usual places but they dont have a long enough range and getting a cable to it is not a problem.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Just get a roller shutter contact (the chunky metal ones)

I got an up and over door and installed and roller shutter contact on it,
just use your imagination when doing things like this.

put the reed switch at the bottom or top of the door.
They are really easy to wire in and cheap too.

Just run a couple of 6 core cables now and decide later what you want. Dual Tech maybe?

Note running mains and low voltage cables (phone and alarm) together in the same duct is not recommended (does not comply to wiring standards) and can cause induction problems at a later date. can you run a smaller conduit (pipe) adjacent to the mains duct and run the phone cable and alarm cables in that.

A heavy duty contact on each door wired back to the house alarm will do.
Hope this is of some help.

Grahame

Sponsored Links
That's certainly different, she lives out in the country so i guess that would fit well lol.

Anyway I have been recommended this one
http://cpc.farnell.com/lynteck/ly52-000-33/alarm-kit-2-wire-ls400/dp/SR0747804?Ntt=SR074780

Seems to do everything we need but I am concerned about the length of cable between the main unit in the house and the garage (it is about 60 mtrs, further than i remembered).

Will the distance between the unit and the sensors affect it in anyway. I am using external cat5e to get from the house to the garage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back