Garage Build Which Blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well after being on here reading for ages i finally have a questin to ask:)

I am building a detached garage next month 4.8m x 8m, with a pitched roof. It will be a single skin construction and rendered. Ideally i would like it to keep as warm as possible, because i will probably use it as a workshop too. My brickie is my retired father inlaw so i want to keep the blocks as light as possible so he doesn't struggle, but they also need to be strong because i wasn't planning on having the inside plastered. What blocks and thickness would you recommend for strength, ease for laying and warmth?

Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
My garage has 9" blockwork to rear and right hand side [not visible from street] the front and left are 4 inch block with insulated cavity and brick face, you can have thin blocks but they don't go with your insulation requirements, can't have it both ways. ;)
I would never alter a construction due to limitations of bricky worth paying someone if he is not up to the job.

Ideally i would like it to keep as warm as possible, because i will probably use it as a workshop too.
Build it cavity construction then.
i want to keep the blocks as light as possible so he doesn't struggle, but they also need to be strong because i wasn't planning on having the inside plastered. What blocks and thickness would you recommend for strength, ease for laying and warmth?
You can't have your cake and eat it.

If the blocks are 'on show' i would always suggest going for dense 7n concrete fellas. Heavy but durable and not particularly porous.

The problem with blocks with the greatest thermal resistance (aerated) is they are very porous. Lightweight, but soak up water like a sponge.

You could consider hollow 140mm fellas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back