Garage concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am about to embark on a workshop/garage and was wondering do i really need to lay hardcore before the concrete slab. The workshop is to be used for restoring a land rover.

My thoughts are that i will need 4" of hardcore and 4" of concrete, but i would welcome constructive advice - thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi all,
I am about to embark on a workshop/garage and was wondering do i really need to lay hardcore before the concrete slab. The workshop is to be used for restoring a land rover.

My thoughts are that i will need 4" of hardcore and 4" of concrete, but i would welcome constructive advice - thanks
Don't forget you will be putting some concentrated loads onto the garage floor, especially with jacks, axle stands etc.

With that in mind, here's a good spec from a document I downloaded a while ago...

Garage concrete floor.
Power floated 150 mm thick concrete slab (concrete mix should be in accordance with BS 8110, BS 5328, mix type ST2 or GEN1), with 1 layer A252 steel mesh positioned mid span of slab on 1200g visqueen dpm/radon barrier on sand blinding on min. 150 well consolidated sulphate free clean hardcore.(no reclaimed demolished material is permitted).
1:80 fall on floor from back of garage to front garage door, floor to be thickened to 300mm at garage entrance.

http://www.fdean.gov.uk/media/Asset...ocuments/NEW_DWELLINGS_GUIDANCE_EDITION_5.pdf

Thanks - i knew this was the right place to come - sensible and helpful advice for newbees. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back