garage conversion diy questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1983 bungalow

LOChwFC.jpg

first time DIYer. want to do this job to a very high standard, and need advice!

I've checked permitted development rights are in place, and they are.

I'm submitting an "Application for a Lawful Development Certificate for a Proposed use or development", not because I _must_ , but because it ensures there'll be no legal hassle if I ever went to sell.

there are no party walls involved

I've checked the title deed for restrictive covenants, and found this "No buildings (other than the initial development approved in accordance with Paragraph 1 of this Part of this Schedule) or addition to any buildings temporary or otherwise shall be erected on the Property except with the previous consent of the Vendor and Laing and in accordance with layout plans elevations and specifications which shall have been first submitted to and approved in writing by the Vendor and Laing (such consents and approvals not to be unreasonably withheld)."

I really don't think the developer could care less about a development they embarked on in 1983, my understanding is that a developer would only care about current and recent developments, and that these covenants are purely there so the developers can protect the look and design of their development during the selling phase and for a short period after. Is it even worth my while writing to them to ask for written exemption from the covenant?

anyway, on to my real question.

Can someone please explain in detail how to dig a foundation to support the front wall/window that will replace the garage door. what tools etc. are best to use for smashing up the ground? what mistakes should I be careful not to make? How do I establish what the foundations already there are? do I start by hacking away at the tarmac drive just in front of the garage door to see what's under the garage door?

How do I go about making sure I get the closest possible brick match to existing bricks? do I get samples from brick suppliers? do I need to go to lots of different brick suppliers and get samples from them all, or do they all sell pretty much the same thing?

How do I work out who manufactured the window on the left so I can purchase a matching one for the right?
I can't ask the previous owner, because I've bought the house from a corporate sale and they won't know anything about it

Sponsored Links
No I wouldn’t bother stirring up the original developer, pointless exercise.

First of all you need to have a dig down on the driveway side to see if there’s a foundation, there may well be as its often easier to whack a foundation in than leave it out but only having a dig will reveal it, if there is a foundation then take some photos or leave the hole exposed to show to BC. With regards to matching bricks and garage conversions, even when you get a perfect match IMO it looks better if you set the new wall back by about 25mm rather than doing it flush and/or trying to tie it in. Some other chappy on here will no doubt tell you what they are/closest match.

I doubt you’ll find the manufacturer of the window you’ll have to try and choose one that matches from your local suppliers. Though if you post in the window section they may point you in the direction of a few manufacturers. BTW only you will notice it’s not quite the same.

Thanks so much for your time in responding. Any suggestions how low below rest of house's floor level I should excavate the garage floor out to ?

If you start at one end then you can find the foundation under one of the end walls and then work along a bit. Hard to say for sure but probably about 600mmish. At least starting at one end you know you'll find some foundation under the existing wall.

Sponsored Links
You can go online to match the bricks or take a sample to a merchant.

If you don't find a foundation within the 600mm(ish) then it is probably safe to say there isn't one though I bet you'll find there is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back