Garage Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to convert our garage into a kind of games room for the kids. Is this something I need planning permission for? I keep reading different things, like needing two exits, things like that so if anyone's done something similar some advice would be good.
I'm going to use this to get a quote http://www.servicemagic.co.uk/formulaires/act622-28-request-a-quote-garage-conversion.htm unless anyone has any recommendations for the Horsforth area of Leeds? I had thought about tackling it myself but I haven't got the time or the know how.

cheers.

Sponsored Links
It will probably come under "change of use" application. Ring your local council and just discuss it with them, they will go through all the requirements you may need.

Also, get the quites from a few recommended builders in your area, rather than/as well as a "garage conversion company". Get more than one quote from different sources. Do a bit of homework, so you know what is roughly involved so you know what to expect or if they start talking nonesense.

It will probably come under "change of use" application. Ring your local council and just discuss it with them, they will go through all the requirements you may need.
What???? :rolleyes: Ignore this!

Anyway, most garage conversions do not need planning permission ie you can do them using your 'Permitted Development Rights'. That said in certain areas where the Local Authority wish to restrict certain development these rights can be removed by an 'Article 4 Directive'. Also if your house is quite new (ie from say 1985 onwards) then often Permitted Development Rights are restricted.

So it begs the question how old is the house?

Usually a call to the local authority planning department to ask them 'if your property retains its full permitted development rights' yields a useful response.

The house is late 60s. I thought that for this kind of thing you don't need planning permission if you're not changing the exterior of it, making it bigger etc.

Sponsored Links
What???? :rolleyes: Ignore this!

Taken from a reputable source:

"Planning permission is unnecessary if you don’t plan to alter the structure of the building; the change of use from a garage to a habitable room will mean compliance with building regulations, including delivery of a building notice to your council. If you live in a listed building or a conservation area planning permission may be required for even minor modifications. Homes in newly built estates sometimes require planning permission. Standalone garages are more likely to require ‘change of use’ planning permission when converted to habitable rooms. Check with your local planning department by phone. If the answer is favourable, write the next day and ask for written confirmation."

I did not say he definitely needed "change of use" permission. Granted he did not say if the garage was standalone - which is why I said ring your council to check! Nothing wrong with that advice....
[/b]

The house is late 60s. I thought that for this kind of thing you don't need planning permission if you're not changing the exterior of it, making it bigger etc.
Late 60's more than likely no permission required, they will tell you over the phone if an Article 4 Direction applies to your location. Unlikely but worth a 5 minute phone call.

If thats what you thought, then why ask the question..... The simple answer is, ring your council and get advice from them, they should be more than happy to help.

I would not consider a Homebuilding magazine to be a reputable source, often their reports and articles are cut and pasted from other sources or are just out of date. Even many local authority websites have outdated information on them and cannot be relied upon. The term 'change of use' in this instance is inappropriate. A garage is converted. A reliable source that generally can be relied upon that you can use is the Planning Portal.

I would not consider a Homebuilding magazine to be a reputable source, often their reports and articles are cut and pasted from other sources or are just out of date. Even many local authority websites have outdated information on them and cannot be relied upon. The term 'change of use' in this instance is inappropriate. A garage is converted. A reliable source that generally can be relied upon that you can use is the Planning Portal.

The planning portal says pretty much the same thing, I used that quote because it was worded in a more understandable way, I checked both sources first. Anyway, I am not splitting hairs or getting into a needless debate as the advice was correct....ring the council.

@ dishman;

Converting a garage (attached or free-standing) to living space is of course - in the everday meaning of the phrase - a 'change of use'.

But in Planning terms, that is not relevant. To need planning permission, it would need to be a 'material change of use', which is not the same thing. That would only apply, for example, if the garage was to be used as a shop, or
converted to a mosque

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back