Garage Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm looking to convert my garage into a bedroom and I've been quoted around 10k for the work. This involves wall insulation, false ceiling, plastering, timber joist for flooring. Windows and render street facing wall. etc

unfortunately this is still out of my budget and I'm trying to see where I can cut costs.

my question is, is it not possible to lay laminate flooring straight on the floor with underlay? do I need joists installed first?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You need to insulate the floor, typically some rigid insulation with some screed over the top. Or some T&G chipboard or ply.

Have you had any other quotes?

only the one quote so far as but I'm planning to get a couple more. How much should a conversion usually cost? its only a single garage and only front of the garage needs bricking and rendering.

they vary as with everything, down here i would say about £6K to £13K.

The front wall may well need a foundation under it rather than as you may be thinking just adding a brick skin.

Sponsored Links
Freddy is about bob on with costs which can depend on what type of garage you have.
For example, a fully integral garage is a lot less work than one with its own roof. Few are 'fully' integral as a lot have a small jut-out roof which usually requires insulating and venting.

As for the floor; Building Control will not insist on complicated floor details i.e. adding insulation etc, if there is not the room to do it. However, if you have tolerance for insulation then B.C. Will insist. The simplest and best way is to lay the insulation direct onto the slab and screed over. Fannying about with floor joists etc is a cop-out and a faff.

A majority of garage frontages will require a foundation beneath the window brick-up etc. The last one we did (on a new-build) had a concrete footing running through. Happy days!

perfect thanks guys that's very useful information. I'll see if the cost of insulation and screed is cheaper rather then putting joists in. I think because of a step down builder suggested that but if its cheaper just to do without I'd prefer that.

I think because of a step down builder suggested that but if its cheaper just to do without I'd prefer that.
Why? :confused:
Having a step down will be a pain. It may also mean having to set the window lower in order to reach any top openers. I think having a step is a bonkers idea particularly if it is avoidable.

Potential buyers may think it's bonkers too.

not 100% on this but i think rather than dig a foundation through the garage door you can plug out a bearing either side and drop a catnic in to carry the new wall in place of the garage door.
this may work out cheaper than digging and concreting a foundation and also save any damage / reinstatement to existing driveway.
Would b,c accept this method anyone?

not 100% on this but i think rather than dig a foundation through the garage door you can plug out a bearing either side and drop a catnic in to carry the new wall in place of the garage door.
this may work out cheaper than digging and concreting a foundation and also save any damage / reinstatement to existing driveway.
Would b,c accept this method anyone?
Bonkers idea and would not be particularly any cheaper.

Thanks for the reply noseall
I'd read it somewhere on some garage conversion site a while back and although I can see the flaws I wasn't sure whether or not it was an acceptable method.

Thanks for the reply noseall
I'd read it somewhere on some garage conversion site a while back and although I can see the flaws I wasn't sure whether or not it was an acceptable method.
Roger.

In practical terms it is way down on the list, faffing about trying to wriggle a lintel in. What I guess people forget is that you would have to dig down in order to insert the lintel in any case, owing to the fact that you have no sideways shoving room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back