Garage Door Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm hoping for some advice with insulating a up an over garage door. I want to be able to use the room to keep my reptiles in but it's obviously too cold as it is, I was going to brick up the door and put a window in and convert in to a proper room but as I'm in a hurry and on a budget I'm looking at alternatives. It's an internal garage so one wall has the living room on the other side, one wall has next doors living room attached, the rear wall has a downstairs toilet then kitchen so basically are all internal walls, I assume these therefore wont need any work? Would I be able to just build a false wall behind the garage door with some kingspan in between? I only intend on using the internal door from the kitchen as access.

Sponsored Links
So long as you do the garage opening to a robust standard, i.e. fill or foam all gaps, tape all joints and fit enough insulation then this zone will not be a problem.

You are looking at something like 100mm studs with 100mm celotex in between with a further 40mm across the studs before boarding. Tape all joints with foil tape and fill any gaps with foam.

In fact, deal with any draughts where you can in the room and you will be 3/4 of the way there.

Then you just need to heat the room according to size.

I would have thought though, that a controlled ventilation system will need to be in place because of the humidity and the inevitable whiff of animal waste products etc.

Sponsored Links
We have industrial roller shutters in a big warehouse - initially zero insulation, unpleasant place to work.

We called the people who fitted the rollers and they put neoprene seals around the doors. Granted ours are on a bigger scale but I'm sure there will be a similar solution for yours.

http://www.indoorsystems.co.uk/doors/roller-shutter-and-self-coiling/ < mentions canopies and brush strips too?

Hope that's helped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back