1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

Garage door opening - type of lintel

Discussion in 'Building' started by pompei, 15 Jul 2010.

1. pompei

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, I'd be very grateful for any advice on a project I'm contemplating...

I've got a detached single garage built in the late 1920's with solid 9 inch walls and a pitched slated roof. On the opposite wall to the main vehicular entrance there is a personal door opening, the load above being supported by two timber lintels. I want to widen this opening to allow a car to pass directly through the garage.

My question is what would be the best way of spanning the opening? I guess that taking into account end bearings, I'd be looking at a 2700mm lintel. Would two concrete lintels do the job, or is it necessary to use a steel lintel if available - the steel lintels I've looked at have all been for a cavity wall at that length.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. DOHdesigns

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There's no reason why you can't use a normal beam (UB/UC). I wouldn't know what size but maybe something along the lines of a 203 x 203 UC. What would be the easiest thing would be to see what has been used on the other side and then use that for the rear ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. pompei

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for that - the original main opening has a timber lintel. I assume it's better to avoid that arrangement?

4. themiddleagedun

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You can get "T" shaped lintels for solid 9'' walls that would do. Or as you say 2 concrete lintels 6''x 4'' would also be suitable.

• Thanks Thanks x 1