Garage door

DP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Getting a new garage built

Need recommendation for a garage door. Am thinking of sectional door with electric motor.

Any suggestions and pointer would be most welcome

Thanks in advance

Dan

Sponsored Links
Know nothing about sectional garage doors but a retired engineer neighbour of mine utilises a roller-shutter from a lorry trailer on his single garage sized shed.No electric motor although he has the skill to fit one.

Haven`t really answered your question but hiked your post up the leader-board for perusal by others ;)

My preference is for a roller shutter door, as it gives more headroom inside the garage. With the roller door open, the only area with limited headroom is below the rolled door, just inside the doorway. In addition, the headroom in the doorway can be higher than a sectional door, as the sectional door normally sits below the frame, whereas the roller can sit level with the frame. If the construction above the doorway is self-supporting, not held up by the frame, the frame can be left out, although I would suggest that the doorway be dimensioned to take a standard door frame, to cover any future change. Leaving out the frame also gives extra width on the doorway.

If you decide to go for a roller door, check the build details of your new garage, as the roller door is fitted on the inside face of the doorway and needs a defined mounting height above it for the roller mechanism, in addition to a defined width at each side for the tracks. The dimensions depend on the actual door chosen.

You can find a few more details on the website of garagedoorsonline.co.uk, on the General Information/Installation page, where they have a Sectional v Roller page.

My only connection with garagedoorsonline is as a satisfied roller door customer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back