Garage electric funny old cable - help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

We are redoing our garage and I would like to fit a new fuse panel. When the builders removed the old one, I found myself with a very funny old cable - photos attached, which I cannot for the life of me work out what connectors to use. I have done electrical connections in the past and am aware of the legislation, but it's the first time that I encounter such a cable...

It has the earth on the outside, like a metal tube running the entire length of the cable. The 2 core wires are inside a white silicone type substance.

What is the exact type of cable and what connectors would I use?

Many thanks for your suggestions.

IMG_2407.JPG
IMG_2408.JPG

Sponsored Links
That's micc commonly known as pyro cable. You will need an electrician who has experience of working with this sort of cable. Not all electricians especially younger ones will have the skills or tools required.

This is not a DIY job.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:MICC

and depending on its age if it's imperial MICC it may need imperial tools and parts to fit it.

In the meantime thoroughly tape the end up as the mineral insulation absorbs water and loses its insulativeness.

Whoever cut that cable hasn't done you any favours as it's bound to be a struggle finding anyone prepared to re-terminate that.

Sponsored Links
Where is the other end and how has it been made safe.
When you find it you'll also see how it's terminated.
And you will need an experienced pyro sparky to install the garage end into your new garage CU

We are redoing our garage and I would like to fit a new fuse panel.
You do know that that is also pretty much a non-DIY job?

What circuits do you plan for the garage? Do you even need a CU there?

When the builders removed the old one, I found myself with a very funny old cable
Was that the cable supplying the garage CU, or one of the circuits from it?

The whole thing troubles me.

Whoever cut that cable may or may not have safely disconnected the cable safely at the supply.

Either way, it's clear it's been done by someone who shouldn't have been meddling.

This is classic meddling.

Do any of the old removed fittings survive?

It would be useful to find the old gland if it can be salvaged.

If you pay digs and travel I'll come and terminate it. Doesn't matter if it's metric or imperial or even full of damp I've got all the gear and more importantly the experience to deal with it.

RF
Excellent link to terminating pyro - no cr4ppy youtube video, just good clear photos and text

Many thanks for your messages.

The fuse which supplies the garage is down. I also measured it and tested, so I'm sure it's been safe until now.

I live in Eltham SE9 and the fuse box that I have is a new BG Garage Kit Enclosure 5-Module IP55 40A RCD Dual 6A & 32A MCB

The cable is too short to reach the unit directly, so it needs to be extended by 1meter or so. Please PM me if you're interested in the work and with a quote to connect it to the fuse box.

Thanks
Dan

What's on the other end of the Pyro?

It might be easier/cheaper to just scrap the entire length and replace with T+E - would be a shame to do so, but if the cable needs extending it's going to look naff - unless you can stick a socket on it or something.

What's on the other end of the Pyro?

It might be easier/cheaper to just scrap the entire length and replace with T+E - would be a shame to do so, but if the cable needs extending it's going to look naff - unless you can stick a socket on it or something.

I'm inclined to agree with you if replacing the cable is reasonably easy to replace.

That said, SWA (armoured cable) may be the way to go, rather than T&E.

I imagine the cable will have got very damp, presumably it was cut before the garage was re-built, and will have been out in the rain and probably in puddles.

That said, RF is confident damp shouldn't be a major issue.

Bloody builders, going around cutting things off...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back