garage / garden room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all got planning application ongoing for a new garage garden room I know I need to submit a building notice but someone has told me that the floor would need to be designed by a structural engineer is this true
if so would that just be for the concrete or the sub base too and would the BCO need to see the excavated area and every stage after

Sponsored Links
You should check with your building control officer what they want. They may want to see certain stages, or just have emailed photos as and when.

Sponsored Links
It's unlikely you would need to upgrade the strength of the floor of the garage, as they are usually designed to withstand the weight of cars and vans... much heavier than sofas and TVs.

If you are going with timber then there are simple TRADA span tables which determine the size of timbers.

As such I wouldnt have thought you'd need an engineer, but there might be site specific issues that need to be resolved. best advice, check with the building control office what they would be looking for during a building notice. Its much easier to get things sorted beforehand than try to prove things after the fact.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back