Garage/Motorbike store

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've had a look on the Planning Portal site and would like to hear some advice/guidance from the forum.
I'm looking to have a wall removed an rebuilt at the end of a yard incorporating a door/shutter to get Motorbike in and out and would like to enclose it in a brick building to store bike and tools etc.
Ideally to run length from yard wall to house approx 4m and from the current boundary yard wall into the yard approx 3m
(Hopefully image is attached to this posting)

What Building regs/planning permission would I need ?
Many thanks in Advance.

Sponsored Links
What's your thinking here tony? A new access from the highway? Which begs the question what is behind the OPs yard? A service lane? Is it adopted or private?

Sponsored Links
What's your thinking here tony? A new access from the highway? Which begs the question what is behind the OPs yard? A service lane? Is it adopted or private?

I assumed because, as drawn, it's a 4m extension to a terraced house. Though I'm forgetting about the prior approval scheme, so ignore me where planning is concerned.

Cheers
Richard

Well it could be done with a gap and looks to be less than 50% of the yard so all height and other limits look likely be met, though if that's a new access off a highway then PP would be required. I really don't see the need for Regs when it's gonna be brick, which I would say meant that the building was substantially non-combustible.

Thanks for the replies....it's a rear alley behind the yard wall. I was thinking bit overkill but to get a price to construct it using the existing neighbours wall 50mm Insulation then 100mm Aircrete blocks on that side and rest of the sides 65mm Engineering bricks, 50mm Insulation and 100mm.
Should keep bike and tools well insulated and warm.

Ideally would like it to tie into the house but I think that brings in a lot more rules/regs which I prob would have to deal with using the neighbours yard wall being a party wall ?

Thanks for the replies....it's a rear alley behind the yard wall. I was thinking bit overkill but to get a price to construct it using the existing neighbours wall 50mm Insulation then 100mm Aircrete blocks on that side and rest of the sides 65mm Engineering bricks, 50mm Insulation and 100mm.
Should keep bike and tools well insulated and warm.

Ideally would like it to tie into the house but I think that brings in a lot more rules/regs which I prob would have to deal with using the neighbours yard wall being a party wall ?

You should really get permission from your neighbour if they own the wall 100%. Either that or build your own wall (youre not saving much as blocks are only pence). You should really have a PWA for doing works near to the boundary regardless of it being a yard wall, but if you have their permission then you can probably dispense with the PWA. If you don't get on with them, and don't want to have a pWA, then you need to be prepared to hit the job quickly and get it dug, poured and built before they complain. Only you can know your appetite for furthering your neighbourly relations in this way

Connecting it to the house makes in an extension rather than an outbuilding and you will need to go through the neighbour consultation process because terraced houses cannot have larger than 3m extensions without it.

If its a public highway at the back which it sounds like it is then technically planning permission is required.

Avoid attaching to the existing PW unless you own it completely. And just get on and do it, unless your neighbour is likely to kick up a stink about PW issues.

In that case this sounds much like what I did when I lived in a terraced house, except my bike store was across the back half of the yard and didn't connect to the house. I had to reinstate the back wall, which a previous owner had demolished to get a car in. Then I just built a timber-framed wall across the yard on the house side and put a shed roof on it. I didn't then know anything much about planning, building control or the Party Wall Act, and didn't involve any of them.

From the picture, your yard looks to be wide rather than long, so I see why you want to go up one side with the store.

If you get on with your neighbours, I'd be tempted to JFDI.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back