Garage - no earth on second radial socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
excuse the crude drawing, its late, I'm tired and this socket problem has me cheesed off!

so I ran lights & plugs from Shed 1 to Shed 2.

Two separate cables through conduit to get between sheds, and it was a pig to pull!

T&E from socket A to socket B....

But I was pretty certain that I didn't burn any of the wires or drill/clip any of them.

That was until I went to test socket B with my Knightsbridge BS1363 Socket Tester
Thats showing MISSING EARTH :(

I have earth showing at socket A, and the cables appear attached on the back of both sockets.

I'm hoping that tomorrow will find I have simply fitted a faulty socket...as I have another to replace it with.

BUT if not, could I simply take the missing earth from the lighting circuit that I also ran into Shed 2?

I find it hard to believe I've managed to break JUST the earth in the mains cable, but its clearly not present at the socket (according to the tester).

Socket A is plastic front & back
Socket B is plastic front but metal back.
the earth goes into the face plate first and then links to the metal socket

Any other simple tests I can do to figure out the lack of earth?

TIA (y)

garage-20161103-233542.jpg

Sponsored Links
To check -

Switch off the main switch and socket MCB in the CU.

At socket B, Connect the Line(Red) and CPC(Earth).

Then at socket A, check for continuity between the two.
Either with a multimeter, if you have one or a battery and bulb or something like that.

If there is, then your connections must be faulty and
if there isn't, your fears will be confirmed.
Sometimes the copper breaks inside the insulation near the terminals.

I wouldn't be keen on using the light CPC but in the circumstances you don't have much choice.
I presume everything is covered by RCD protection.

EFLImpudence, ya made my day! (y)

your advice on how to test the circuit spot on!
that brought a smile to my face as it proved there was continuity on the Line(Red) and CPC(Earth). I did also disconnect Socket A from the supply before testing, didn't know if I should have?

Replaced Socket B for a new one and all is now good in the world (and all that conduit struggling was not in vain)

Have a GREAT weekend! much appreciated.

To check -

Switch off the main switch and socket MCB in the CU.

At socket B, Connect the Line(Red) and CPC(Earth).

Then at socket A, check for continuity between the two.
Either with a multimeter, if you have one or a battery and bulb or something like that.

If there is, then your connections must be faulty and
if there isn't, your fears will be confirmed.
Sometimes the copper breaks inside the insulation near the terminals.

I wouldn't be keen on using the light CPC but in the circumstances you don't have much choice.
I presume everything is covered by RCD protection.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back