Garage/outdoor power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a power feed to my detached garage installed when the house was rewired 9years ago. I currently only have one double socket and lights in the garage but want to add more sockets as well as an outdoor feed for a pond pump and in the future a hot tub. Do these changes need to be Part P certified or as its a detached garage, is it able to be wired without the additional certification?

The garage is fed from its own part of the main fuse box inside the house and I am planning the installation of a separate consumer unit in the garage as part of the upgrade. To separate the lighting, in garage sockets and outdoor power needs.

I am currently in the planning stage of these changed so need to know what is needed to schedule everything in.

thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I had a power feed to my detached garage installed when the house was rewired 9years ago. I currently only have one double socket and lights in the garage but want to add more sockets as well as an outdoor feed for a pond pump and in the future a hot tub. Do these changes need to be Part P certified or as its a detached garage, is it able to be wired without the additional certification?
Extending an existing circuit, even in outbuildings, is not, per se, 'notifiable' in England, although it may well be in Wales (and I know nothing about Scotland).
The garage is fed from its own part of the main fuse box inside the house and I am planning the installation of a separate consumer unit in the garage as part of the upgrade. To separate the lighting, in garage sockets and outdoor power needs.
The rules/law is not (IMO) totally clear, but many believe that installing an additional CU in a garage (or anywhere else) is notifiable, even in England. Such an additional CU may well not be necessary - so, if it can be avoided, that might be advantageous for you.

All electrical work should result in 'certification', even if you do it yourself. The difference is that a few works (in England - a lot more in Wales) have to be 'notified' - not a significant issue for a registered self-certifying electrician, but could have major financial implications if you undertook the work yourself or employed a non-self-certifying electrician. The main problem with DIY electrical work is that, even though many DIYers are competent to actually do the work, in a physical sense, they very often don't have the facilities and/or knowledge required for the testing that would be required for them to issue the appropriate certificate.

Are you sure that the current supply to the garage is adequate for your future needs (in particular the hot tub)? What size MCB in your house CU is supplying the garage. Do I take it that the circuit is RCD-protected?

It could well be that you would be best advised to get an electrician on board.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the advice John.

The circuit is on the RCD-protected side of the main board from memory, I can check that when I'm home tonight. I was initially looking to extend the circuit in the garage as the current socket is at the 'wrong' end at the moment. But over the weekend the possibility of a hot tub was mentioned as part of our re-doing the garden in the next year or two, so I thought I'd check requirements before I say no problem!

I'll call in an electrician for advice nearer the time to see what exactly I need to do. At the moment my initial plans will probably be OK as its just a extra socket (maybe two) in the garage (no additional consumer unit - I thought that might be a good addition to keep things safer with the HT suggestion).

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice John. The circuit is on the RCD-protected side of the main board from memory, I can check that when I'm home tonight. I was initially looking to extend the circuit in the garage as the current socket is at the 'wrong' end at the moment. But over the weekend the possibility of a hot tub was mentioned as part of our re-doing the garden in the next year or two, so I thought I'd check requirements before I say no problem!
The issue there is whether the present supply to the garage (in terms of both cable size and MCB rating) would be adequate for a hot tub. Your electrician could advise.
I'll call in an electrician for advice nearer the time to see what exactly I need to do. At the moment my initial plans will probably be OK as its just a extra socket (maybe two) in the garage (no additional consumer unit - I thought that might be a good addition to keep things safer with the HT suggestion).
Simply moving/adding sockets to the existing circuit is not a problem. So long as you just have sockets and lights, there is no reason to have a CU in the garage.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back