Garden Cavity Wall Supporting Decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I`ve had an idea to build a decked area at the top of my sloping garden, to support the decking I would ideally like to use a block wall built with a 44cm cavity to act also as a planter, to make a more private area.

The decked area would be 5mx3.5m.
The wall would be around 2 sides (3.5m) and the front (4m) to a height of 80cm the front being around 25cm higher to compensate for the slope. At one side of the front section a gap for steps (1m) was planned.
I was going to leave gaps for the decking joists and also drainage holes in the block work.

I also would of liked to render the faces of the walls if possible, as they are retaining soil is this practical ?
I did plan on using some kind of damp proofing but I am unsure if this is feasible if wall ties are required.

I planned to dig foundations slightly wider than the wall (64cm) and around 6" deep. Also stepped at the sides to compensate for the slope.

Any advice/help appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back