Garden fence maximum height allowed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the maximum permitted height I am allowed to build a wooden fence. I am on a sloping site (my plot is lower than next door), if I am (say) 1ft lower than next door can I have my fence 7' high at my side ?

Sponsored Links
As per the PP link, it will depend on the location of the fence and any PD rights that may have been removed, your building is listed, etc...

I should have mentioned this is a side fence which would be up against an existing neighbours fence. Can I match his height even though my height will eceed 2m (being on the lower site) The buildind is on an estate and is not listed.

Sponsored Links
Can I match his height even though my height will eceed 2m (being on the lower site)

No you can't exceed 2m under permitted development. Get a tape measure and measure up 2m from the ground level on your side where the fence is being installed. This is the maximum height of your fence without applying for planning permission.

What is determined as ground level? Meaning... could you build up that side of the house slightly with some additional soil/earth, which would take the 2m a little higher? Hehe! :LOL:

My neighbour has built a wall and a fence at the back of my house. On the short side from the floor its 2.2 metres and the high side its 3.3 metres surely they should have asked me first

Being the friendly neighbour, then yes. However, they should have had to apply for planning permission and you should have received a letter from your LPA of them receiving such application.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back