Garden Gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have found some good plans on the internet on how to build your own gate however what I need to know is how best to place it, in the picture you can see there used to be a gate (ignore the red gate)until I removed it as it had gone rotten. there was 3 holes for the last gate and because holes and posts are not my strongest point I need to know if there is a method of only needing one post fixing (or better still none). there is a brick wall on the left side and a fence on the other. I want the gate to be about 6ft tall.

The new gate is to go across (between the white and black bins) you can still see the old holes in the floor.

View media item 26152

Sponsored Links
Am'I right you don't want to use posts so the gate can be wider?

Sponsored Links
Sorry guys, just read it back and it made no sense to me neither...

Basically whats the best method of putting a gate in that picture with the least amount of posts.

Posts are not my strong point.

If you look at the pic you can see were the old gate went with the holes in the floor.

Hope this clears things up sorry :oops:

Ta :D

I'm afraid that you really have to overcome you phobia of posts and put at least one in adjacent to the fence :( The gate could be hung straight off the wall although even here a timber fixed to the wall first would make life easier but you will definatly need a post by the fence to latch the gate to. Another :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back