Garden gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

My rough, cheap, timber garden gate was previously painted with a mahogany coloured exterior wood stain. This is now washed off completely along the bottom 60cm of the gate, which is now bare wood, and is wearing off pretty much all over.

For a change, I'd like to repaint it with an oil based "gloss" type paint, in blue. Obviously, I'd choose an exterior paint. But what should I put on first? Just ordinary primer, or some special stuff?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Stained wood isn't the best to take extra treatment, as it does sink in further than normal paint.
However, a quality primer will take care of that, so do check out the Zinsser range of products.
It's as well to remove as much of the old treatment as you can of course - which could be a monumental bore!
John :)

Also..if it is very rough, it will benefit from a very thorough sanding before painting. Plus, unless the wood can be made smooth to the touch, you are better to use oilbased eggshell than high gloss (gloss is not very forgiving on rough surfaces and highlights every flaw).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back