Garden gnomes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I paint a cement garden gnome I've tried a few ways and paint keeps coming off thanks

Sponsored Links
I've been on a Web site which said use emulsion . 1st of all I used it for undercoat 2 coats then painted colours 2 coats all emulsion then used Valspar sealer gloss 2 coats which is a spray . I've tried painting it with a concrete consolidation sealer , valspar primer spray 2 coats of emulsion then valspar sealer top coat gloss . The last one I did lasted about 3 weeks , this week we had frost then heavy rain it made the paint bubble thanks for replying

I've been on a Web site which said use emulsion . 1st of all I used it for undercoat 2 coats then painted colours 2 coats all emulsion then used Valspar sealer gloss 2 coats which is a spray . I've tried painting it with a concrete consolidation sealer , valspar primer spray 2 coats of emulsion then valspar sealer top coat gloss . The last one I did lasted about 3 weeks , this week we had frost then heavy rain it made the paint bubble thanks for replying

Was your gnome thoughly dry before you painted it?

I've painted gnomes with emulsion: white as an undercoat, then colours on top. I did it with tester pots and spare paint from my house decoration, so it was mostly posh paint of one kind and another, not that that should make a difference. I've found it fades gradually in the garden over a few years, rather than peeling off. The only time I ever used gloss paint on a gnome, that peeled off.

Gnomes are masonry, so masonry paint ought to work ;)

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
That's what I used . What did u use as a top coat . Did u leave the gnome outside during winter months

That's what I used . What did u use as a top coat . Did u leave the gnome outside during winter months

I didn't use anything as a top coat. I have several gnomes outside painted thus, as does my neighbour. All have been out for all seasons; the only one that faded quickly was left in long grass over the winter.

Cheers
Richard

I did a sample of oil based gloss with primer underneath it's been outside for 2 weeks looks like it's starting to cracking . Do your mum's so signs of this thanks

If it helps, I used clear acrylic spray when I painted terracotta pots with acrylic artist paints and it's lasted a year so far without even a hit of bubbling or lifting off. I wonder if that would help you? I was also given a zombie gnome for a joke which I also sprayed with a couple of clear coats on because it didn't feel like the paint would last - that's been fine too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back