Garden Hose to Protect Electric Cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Having moved my shed to the bottom of the garden from the top I need to extend the power feed. I have armoured cable at the moment but I would need another 30metres to do the job which costs a fortune. I happen to have a garden hose the same length which would accommodate the usual grey sheathed electric cable.

Would it be silly to feed it through the hose? Having looked at the construction of both they dont seem too far removed from each other and the supply would run along a fence in any event so wouldnt come to any harm.

Any thoughts on the subject much appreciated. Cheers

Sponsored Links
armoured is exactly that, cable wound in metal starnds that is very hard to damage accidentally. Normal cable in a hose pipe wont take much to damage. your choice really

It may not be that expensive:
50 metres 10mm SWA £130 delivered or 50 metres 6mm SWA £100 delivered.

A lot less expensive than damaged cables.

How about feeding an ordinary cable through narrow plastic plumbing pipe?
Might give a bit more protection if you accidentally stab a spade through it?
Or use both!

Sponsored Links
Why on earth pay £40 for a bodge with 25mm MDPE pipe???

Do it right first time. It's cheaper in the long run.
Isn't it subject to Part P anyway and no self-respecting sparks would touch that sort of bodge.

Why not ask in the electrics forum?
but be prepared for some stick about your suggestion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back